Distance learning /part time degree in music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by drummingman, Dec 30, 2018.

1. drummingman

drummingman New Member

I'm considering doing a BA(hons) in Music and am looking really for a distance learning course like that was done by Barnsley college many years ago. Does anyone know of a college or uni that's doing a similar course? At the moment I'm looking at Open college of arts(University of the Arts)
    many thanks

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

The Open University used to do something but I’m not sure that the current offering is as good.

Dependant upon where you live then part-time study rather than distance learning might be a viable option - possibly something to explore. Perhaps there are other viable alternatives, what is it that you were hoping to do with a Music Degree and what is your current music qualification level?

3. drummingman

drummingman New Member

I'm looking for work as a drum kit/percussion teacher.... I have a performers LGSM diploma and CertHE from Sheffield uni. And 30years experience performing in the Army. Always wanted to do a degree.

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I can relate to wanting a degree when you haven’t got one. However, in my own experience and as far as I’m concerned, they are not as valuable or desirable as they are made out to be. If for some reason you must do a degree then, in general and IMHO, the part-time Uni/College route is broadly better than the full-time one. Distance learning (so not classroom based) has its pro’s and con’s, it isn’t an easy option but it can be made to work.

Your current qualifications might allow you 120 points credit with the OU, if so then entering into their second year would be quite a good match with your existing skills - an easier ride for you and a reasoned choice. The OU also allow you to cash in your points part way through courses for Certificates and Diplomas. Study can be flexibly scheduled around your work and home commitments.

How does having a degree make you more marketable as a drum kit / percussion teacher and to who?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice