Display posts in reverse order? (Latest first)

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by mikelyons, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi guys,

Is it possible to display posts in particular threads in "latest post first" order? I am thinking particularly of the deputy requirements/recruitment corner posts. I suspect the question has been posed before and the answer has been "no", but one lives in hope! :)

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Mike, go to your Profile page, under My Settings in the left-hand column, click on General Settings, scroll down to Thread Display Options, then next to Thread Display Mode: there is a drop-down menu and you can choose one of three modes.

There is a link to a Help page which explains what each setting does. I think the modes are global, though, rather than being able to be applied to individual threads.

Edited to add - then scroll to the bottom of the page and save the changes you've made!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Thanks for that. I already knew you could do it, but it's global, so all my threads would then behave like that, which is not what I want - I'm too nosy.
    My thought was that, with this type of thread most people would not really want to see the whole history before getting to the new vacancies. This is a different expectation than where you are following a 'conversation' in a normal thread.
    Thanks anyway.

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

On another forum I visit (non-banding) there is such a facility. Just above the posts columns this appears "Posts are ordered from oldest to newest - Click here to change order".

Hey presto, with one click you can order the posts in an individual thread oldest first or newest first. Perhaps this is something those in the engine room could take a look at. I'd be happy to supply the url for the other site by PM, for them to have a look, if such an addition is a possibility on here.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the (much) delayed response, Mike - I've been more than a bit busy of late. We've been asked this before and the simple answer is no you can't change the order the posts appear for a single forum such as recuitment corner. As has been mentioned, there is a global setting accessed through your User CP, but that is not what you want here. This is part of the vB software we use here on tMP, and as such we are all stuck with it. The function to change the display order on the other website is probably different forum software, or a plug-in or some sort of customisation specific to their site. tMP's policy is not to change the vB script too much from an out-of-the-box installation as it causes problems updating to a newer version whenever one is released.

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Some threads say "scroll down for latest advert" but you can get to the last post by clicking "go to last post" - perhpas the thread's title could include something or be amended to say such?