Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Pegram, Jul 11, 2005.

1. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

I have just read the excellent newsletter put out by SCABA. Some dear souls nicked two Timps from one of their contests and now understandabley they will not provide perc for forth coming contests.Come on someone must have noticed two extra timps on the way home,what are we coming to?
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

erm how the heck could you get away with nicking two timps? you could hardly stuff 'em up your jumper and walk out! surely some official person must have noticed them being taken?? hmmm :confused:
  4. 2nd man down

I dunno...Our solo horn could have a damn good go!! She's gonna kill me when I get home! :rolleyes:
  5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

but like surely they'd have somebody watching them?? like watching all the percussion stuff cos its bound to go walkies if its just left by itself somewhere isn't it! Or maybe somebody took it cos it was the same as their band's and they didn't realise?? hmmm how strange!

And you are very cheeky crawfy! i'm sure you will be in trouble when you get home! and it'll be all your own fault! (does anybody else think there might be another court case looming?? :tongue: )
  6. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

No way can anybody get away with this! It's impossible for a band of 30 people not to have at least 1 honest person in it! How embarassing is it going to be when it come's out in the wash?
    Unless of course it's a genuine mistake!?!?
  7. postie

postie Member

Sometimes you have to wonder how People have got the nerve to do that sort of thing. Unbelivable that is the only word that comes to mind.
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

I was from the band of which the timps were stolen.

What happened was that the two very good timps weren't just taken, they were swapped with two timps of a much lower spec and of a much worse condition.

No-one to my knowledge has owned up...
  9. 2nd man down

Well if that was deliberate, and it sounds like it might have been, that's a despicable thing to do.

You must have a list of all the bands that competed tho...surely a letter to them all asking if a genuine mistake has been made pointing out what has heppened to you will flush out someone with a concience. It's worth a try.

Good luck getting them back. :tup
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe... you don't think that they tried that?
  11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

If the timps were "swapped" then it's not a case of 1 dishonest person, the whole band will be aware surely. Maybe it's time that bands started tagging the equipment similar to the ultraviolet pens used on bikes and suchlike.

If SCABA's timps had been marked in such a way then at least checks could be made of the competing bands to see if they had "inadvertantly" swapped the timps by mistake.
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

At what point during the contest did the 'swap' take place. Before? During? Afterwards?
    Was it on stage or off?
    Is there any particular section that can be eliminated from your enquires?
    When did this incident take place? Are we talking months, weeks or a couple of days ago?
    Do you have any serial numbers, distinguishing marks, photo's or other information that you can publish?

Let's have the full information Ben and I'm sure tMP members will be able to solve the problem.

Incidentally, have you contacted the local constabularly to explain the situation. I'm sure if they had a list of competing bands on the day they would soon be able retrieve them.

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am 100% with you on this Roger.

just contact the local Police and let them do the rest.
    You will soon have the timps sorted all been well:clap: :tup
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

The timps were loaned to SCABA for Folkestone (as they had been for a number of years). However when they were returned it was found that someone had taken our set and left their own. Now this could well have been (initially) an honest mistake since they were the same make and type (though the set left were not in as good condition and without a wheel break). I'm sure though that the band would have realised their mistake by now (we noticed as soon as they got back), however attempts to retrieve them amicably (by asking all the bands in attendance) have proved fruitless, it seems whoever has them wants to keep them.

And thats about all I can publicly say on the matter.
  15. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

Who were the competing band's? :confused:
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It's probably best that the competing bands were not named here, just in case somone gets the wrong end of the stick, or decides to start unfounded rumours.

Whatsharp, I hope you and your band can sort this out amicably and it is just a mistake, but from the contents of this thread at least it would seem not.

If you have exhausted all resonable routes available to you the maybe it is time to get the police involved.
  17. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

it's a great shame if this is a case of theft. not just because of the lack of morality it shows but because of the resounding effect events like these can have throughout the banding world. lets hope no one else gets clever ideas, though i'm sure most of us are above that.
    hope you get your timps back WhatSharp (and co)
  18. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

Could we perhaps have a final plea to all the timp players from the competing band's to double check their equipment before the police get involved? Especially now the whole world knows about it!
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Also make sure that the serial numbers for all instruments are stored in a secure place ... so that they can be verified and traced!
  20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

And can i tag on. . . . After this years Pogson Bray contest (in the good old county of yorkshire) I am missing one gong beater (with initialed stiker on it "GH") Emley loaned our gear to the contest but fortunatley for us the only thing missing when it all came back was my personnel gong beater! I'm not that bothered it's only about £26 worth, but you do feel less civil minded about helping out in future!!

i wonder how much gear (triangle's and Tamb's etc) Ray Payne has "lost" over the years??