Disappointed teacher!!:( - re children in need!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SammyT, Oct 27, 2003.

1. SammyT

SammyT Member

Just read the post on the bbc children in need thing.
    I was really looking forward to doing this but as a teacher I will not be able to get the time off work so cannot get there for 12.
    To other teachers on this forum (and others!) has this happened to you before - unable to do something due to not being able to take time off!!
    It has caused problems several times for me. E.g. this years nationals, the rest of the band left early friday morning and obviously we could not leave till 4.
    Thank god for cheap airline tickets (and edinburgh airport being fairly close to dundee - well kirkcaldy where we were staying!!!!) otherwise we would have had problems or not arrived until early hours of saturday morning.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    need
    children
    thing
    teacher
    something
  3. Di B

Di B Member

It isn't just teachers - a lot of jobs have times when you can't get away. In accounts for example from Wednesday for a week and a half I cannot have time off as it is our busiest time in the month. Fortunatly for me, the 21st falls on a 'quieter' week hence I can make it.

I think it is one of the prices you pay for being in any sort of responsible position at work - and you get way too many holidays as a teacher compared to me anyway! :wink:

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well being an underappreciated student worker type, I only get 16 days holiday a year including the christmas shutdown. Luckily Friday is only a 1/2 day as far as holidays go, but I still have to think about it!

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Couldn't play at the Whit Friday's this year as couldn't get from Doncaster in time after school. Still, not complaining, presently on one of my 13 weeks holiday a year, which meant I could stay till Monday at Pontins.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

13 WEEKS!?!?!?!?!? :(

7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

6 in the summer, 2 at christmas, 2 at Easter and 3 half terms!

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Scandalous...

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having had a father who was a teacher, I can assure you that those so-called holidays are not what they seem. Any teacher worth his or her salt will be constantly involved in preparation, marking etc, none of which shows up on any official documentation. Dad didn't mind the fact that he was not paid for the extra he used to put in, but he did resent the fact that his payslip stated "Hours unpaid overtime - Nil".

After that rant, I should say that I'm also disappointed that I can't make it for the event. If it had been just the evening I could have done it, but such is the way of the world :(

10. SammyT

SammyT Member

yeah peter i agree. I am just having a break from marking at the moment. Half terms as far as I am concerned is a time to catch up with marking and planning etc as I don't get much of a break!!!
    I know it is hard for others at well but at least you get the option to take a day off!!!!
    I know as pythagorous says we have loads of hols but how many evenings and weekends do we work as well!!!!
    I am not moaning about all that as I did choose to go into teaching, I am just disapointed that I cannot do the children in need thing. I could probably get there for about 6ish but not much earlier!!!! :(

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think some of my old teachers weren't worth any seasoning of any sort... they seemed to be out drinking more often than me! Then again, there were some who put in a lot of extra work, so I will include all those involved here in this category.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    need
    children
    thing
    teacher
    something
  13. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Sammy, I can certainly see where you're coming from. I'm progressing through the education system and on that particular day I have an exam that counts to 70% of my final module grade for (modules this year count towards my classification). However as I attend Wolverhampton uni I am only 1 train stop away so have offered my services from approximately 4:30pm - 5pm.

14. Moy

Moy Active Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: If only school holidays actually meant school holidays.
    How many of us end up spending at least the beginning and usually the end doing b***** paperwork for school.
    Here-endith my moan for the day.........long holidays .......well. well, well.

15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Yep plenty of marking and planning to do in half term :(