dirt cheap piccolo trumpets on trade stands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Super Ph, May 11, 2010.

1. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

Which trade stand is it that sells ridiculously cheap piccolo trumpets? I'm sure I have seen them recently (at some tinpot contest or other) for £100-£200

I am in the market for one such, for a novelty item. It has to be playable, but it doesn't have to be good. I'm not going to spend much.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

John Packer sells a rotary Bb/A for £274.85 here. It's the cheapest I found.
  3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Virtuosi are the ones you may have seen - and for the money, they are very playable. www.firstbrass.co.uk - their website seems to be under construction and none of the brass links work for me - there is a phone number there though. I'm sure mine cost less than £274
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I paid under £200 for my Virtuosi (basic model) and at the price it's a great instrument. I've also seen the JP rotary and I have to say that I would've paid the extra for that if I'd seen it first - a lovely instrument.
  5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Please don't be so disparaging..even tongue in cheek.
    Whichever contest it was I'm sure people put a lot of time and effort into making it happen...for all our benefit.
  6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Another vote for the first brass virtuosi picc.

My one is the newer model (bought just over a year ago). I think they charge nearer £300 for it now, but it is a good picc. for that price.
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Butlins LMAO
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

£99. A more than competent player had a go on the one I purchased at one of the 'tinpot contests' and declared it to be far better than could be expected for the price played.
  9. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll check those out.

please don't be so pathetic. what i said was correct both literally (through the accumulated grime) and figuratively.
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

was interested in quality cheaper instruments so have been following this thread.
    but some comments are not nice,
    referance to " Tin Pot contest's" and calling people "pathetic."
    Not Nice !
  11. floppymute

floppymute Member

Nothing pathetic about it.
    If you were one of the hard-working backroom organisers, you wouldn't appreciate a comment of that nature. Too many of us take the difficulties of promoting a contest for granted. Tatty venues etc. are probably all that can be afforded...or does your band want to pay inflated entry fees to cover the cost of somewhere better?
    If these so-called 'tin-pot' contests die, as so many already have over the years, then eventually so does banding I'm afraid.
  12. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Will - that was a pocket trumpet not a piccolo.
  13. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Give him a break - he's a bass player after all. ;)
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Nah, definitely a piccolo. Makes all sorts of unusual whistling noises when I play it. :biggrin: But yes, you're right of course.