1. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

just a thought, but why not have a 'transfer window' in banding like in football?

if players could only move band between (for example) November and February no band could bring in ringers for the finals.

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

But that rules out anyone joining at the last minute who has genuine intentions of staying on after the contest, and lower section bands need every chance they can to recruit such players. In fact, 99% of bands do for that matter.

3. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Myabe a contract system then? ...............[that's not a serious comment btw]

4. starperformer

starperformer Member

you wouldn't have signed if you had to play for them at the areas, would you?

5. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Was that a question for me? ........in answer, I had already promised to play with another local band at the area ........the same band I did the last 3 contests before that with :)

6. ratley

ratley Member

Oooo ladies - handbags at dawn!

Yet another great thread SP :wink:

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

what a load of twaddle, Every band will do there best to fill any empty seats with the best guys available. It happens at every level.

Personally this year we've lost two basses (bigger banding challenge/new job), and a principal cornet (bigger banding challenge), there's not enough players out there (we all know that) so the empty seats we still have, have been filled by whoever we could get our hands on. We've signed a player on front row (been a national finalist hepls with the advertising and the profile of the band) who intends to stay (is he a ringer?) and we're extremely lucky that our 3rd man down seat is taken by a local guy who can't play full time and is helping out for the contest (as he has for the last 6/7 on any seat we need - played 3rd cornet at Area). Our regular 3rd man is a student and has showed great maturity for his years in suggesting that he step onto the back row as he can't make many rehearsals.

Every player/MD on here will do the very best for their band. But still I would take a settled team of players over a few quality "ringers" brought in at the last minute,

Garry

ooh, and as far as I know there's no plans to bring in an expensive "man in the middle" :)

8. i know a band who at 1 stage were down 2 just 2 basses, and recruited 1 player direct from a BIG brass band, and another who cud easily play in the top section if he wanted 2, that gave this band the best bass section in the 3rd section by a country mile, so friggin what, as garry said, bands fill with what they can get, fair enough its annoying when a band becomes FULL of players well above the level of the section they are in, but if they choose to go there then thats their choice, if a band can afford to pay wages for it then great, just means they wont be keeping them very long, then the band will go downhill again till they can do something about it. my local band had 3 top quality bass players, my mate even knicknamed it "the dream team" LOL, and yes it added a depth to the band for which most other bands in the 2nd section at the time couldn't cope with, and it was prolly 1 of the best in the 1st aswell, fact is, most bands will have a quality player or 2 here and there, but most regions will have the star bands that stick out no matter what, and ive just remembered, theres a band in the north west which even at 4th section level, some people said, give em 5 yrs and they will be in the top section, and now they are, its just how it is!

heres an interesting side topic for this thread, what is a ringer exactly, anyone got an exact definition of what 1 is?

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

3 Quotes from a dictionary:

a substitute or addition, as a professional musician hired to strengthen a school orchestra: We hired three ringers for the commencement concert.

a contestant entered in a competition under false pretenses

a racehorse, athlete, or the like entered in a competition under false representation as to identity or ability.

In my opinion, someone who has been asked (paid) to play for a band at a contest who is far above the level the rest of the band are currently at, purely to improve the chances of winning and with no intentions to remain with the band on a regular basis.

10. JR

JR Member

not a bad idea actually - at least for the top section ...and bring in a rule (immediately) that prevents British Open contenders fielding stars from Europe and Australasia who will presumably return to play for their "home" bands at the next contest

John R