Dimensions- Peter Graham

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MattB, Mar 31, 2003.

1. MattB

MattB Member

As I am taking my band (Littleborough) to the Holme Valley contest with Dimensions I thought I'd ask for experiences of playing this piece on a contest stage from other posters. Have any of you interesting stories connected to this piece? Does anyone remember adjudicator's comments for the piece?

Any ideas/suggestions/replies gratefully received!

Thanks,

Matt Bailey.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter Graham
    Holme Valley
    Littleborough
    piece
    Holme Valley contest
  3. Heather

Heather Member

Its a fantastic piece.
    I was on 1st Bari when I played it and it was a great part.
    The piece is really tuneful...a definate crowd pleaser.
    I'd love to play it again.
    Good Luck in your contest!

p.s
    I'll see if I can find our adjudicators comments and let you know what he said.

4. Sarahjo

Sarahjo New Member

Dimensions

Have played Dimensions a few times, is a good piece at first, but after a while it does become a bit boring. Don't do it to death like we did!!! Great concert piece though!!

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

We've played it the last two times at Leamington Spa own-choice contest - we won both times.

It's a lovely piece, I'll see if I can find my copy of the comments from the last time we played it.

6. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Dave I take it that you wuzat work when you posted this :p Coz you were not at Band like all us good folk :roll:

7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Dimensions is my all time fave test piece and the only piece i've ever won a contest with.

I remember the comments on that day

"Today i thought the standard of the bands were generally very poor. there were technical and intonational errors. I have had to declare a winner, but to be honest, they weren't the best, they were just the least bad"

or something like that. can'r remeber the adjudicator but the contest was Whitehaven.

Enjoy playing it!

"Bum Bum Bum Baah f*** it up bum bum bum baah budubah bit bah bidabidabidabidabuuh"

8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember playing it at a contest too. Sorry I can't help with all the comments all I remember is da daaaaaa daaaaaa daaaaaa daaaaa daaaaa daaaaa daaaaaa ........... :?

9. topnote

topnote New Member

One year we played dimensions at a contest and won. :D

A year later we played it again but took the tempos alot slower than the previous time, at this contest we were slated by the adjudicator for playing it too fast!!!
    :cry: :x
    So I would say to watch out for the tempo markings but I suppose it depends on who the adjudicator is! (doesn't it always!)

10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

why not post the details of the contest in the adjudicators comments section, Matt? and don't forget we will want to know the results 8)

11. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Dimensions is a great piece of music, it was the second section area music in 1992. We at Carlton Brass have played it at three contests in the last 18 months and have been clear winners every time and also picking up a soloist prize as well. Dave Read who was one of the Adjudicators said half way through his remarks " I put my pen down and listen to pure music". The problem with some of the lower section bands is that they have to learn how to master the slow movements and make them sound as good as the fast music. Its a great bit of music, but we won't be using it at a contest again.

www.carltonbrass.org.uk

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter Graham
    Holme Valley
    Littleborough
    piece
    Holme Valley contest
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I conducted Dimensions when I first took over as MD of Runnymede Brass. I find it a little square and predictable but a good choice for an ambitious lower section band.

When I first contested with it we were heavily criticised for looseness in the accompanying quaver patterns at I and at W, and for imbalance/unevenness in the crotchet accompaniment at P. The theme at E is a minefield for tuning problems. Also remember my timp player coming a little unstuck relative to the troms in the closing bars...

Best of luck!

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

I remember playing this piece at a contest

there is a large muted section in the middle anbd the corks on my mute decided to break, causeing a large squeak and a very red face :oops: :wow :wow :hammer :bounce but we didn't do too bad, I must admit that is a lvoely piece.

15. rutty

rutty Active Member

Correct, I was/am at work, where I do most of my surfing :oops: I'll be there friday though.