Dimensions Peter Graham

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Blagger, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Blagger

Blagger Member

As a test piece where would you place this? 4th section? Bottom 3rd?
    Just asking ☺
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If memory serves, "Dimensions" was 2nd section qualifiers sometime early '90s. It depends on whether or not one subscribes to the idea that testpieces get easier to play as they get older. Personally, I'd consider it much too challenging for 4th section. A good 3rd section band might make a decent attempt.
    Blagger likes this.
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It was 1984, Gareth. (Yes, makes me feel old too!). I haven't played or heard it since, but remember it being a great piece, but tricky. Still 2nd section, IMO. There was no 1st section in those days, of course, so not a direct comparison.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

A decent 3rd Section band could play this I reckon. :) Cracking piece....
    Blagger likes this.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. I checked the Brass Band Results webpage, because I definitely wasn't conducting in 1984, and it seems it was reset for the areas in 1992 as well (still 2nd section), by which time I think there was a 1st section (?), which is where I remember conducting it.
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Wow, Quite a rare recurrence, that.
  7. Blagger

Blagger Member

That's good news. I ran through it last rehearsal and the band liked it. Suits the strengths of our band. Last time I played it was at college in 87! Still got plenty to offer I reckon. Any time I've heard it since bands have tried to play it too fast IMO
    Matthew likes this.
  8. midlandman

midlandman Member

IMHO Dimensions and Music for a Festival are the top two lower section test pieces most difficult to get a good reading.
    Layering the performance is so difficult. 2nd section for me for Dimensions.
    Matthew likes this.
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Dimensions was Butlins 2nd Section around 2007
  10. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Darwen Brass played it at contests while still in fourth section if I remember correctly. Got some decent results all considering too, however it was Music for a festival that got quite a few first prizes for them while I was still with them.
  11. BrightonHove

BrightonHove Member

We played this in the 3rd section (there is no 4th section) at the scaba Autumn Contest in 2013 and won. It is a really good piece that tests most sections of the band.
  12. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

According to BBR it was 2003 and 3rd Section......

Its been used several times in the last few months as an Own Choice including a few wins, although it hasnt been set for a while.....time for a reappearance perhaps? I'd like a crack at it at the areas next year....
    Blagger likes this.
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

Definitely third section, we are working it up at the minute and are 3rd as of 2016. Some tricky runs, back row cornet parts, gorgeous solos for PC and Euph, all in 8 minutes and change. One of the most "perfect" test pieces in the truest sense of the word - everyone and everything gets a good going-over, maybe the only thing lacking is percussion, just kit & a bit of timps.
  14. Cornet23

Cornet23 Member

"Dimensions" remains one of my all-time favourite test pieces. Along with "Essay" - Edward Gregson. I'd say it was either 2nd section test piece, or a 3rd section pet project! But I think it's a great piece to try and work up to standard - the better test pieces are often more achievable because they're just so damn fun to play!
    midlandman and iancwilx like this.