Difficult decision

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by steve butler, Nov 10, 2007.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

My final fling for Kippax tommorrow at the Remembrance service and march to senataph (nothing like going out in style?).
    After 8 years of very enjoyable banding with Kippax I felt I needed a break from the treadmill of a busy (ish) band. How hard is it to leave a band? :-
    There are all the great friends
    there is always another contest we need you for
    another solo opportunity
    another new conductor to freshen things up

I'm not sure what I want to do playing wise at the moment - maybe just take a break from banding - ala Zak. It would be nice to have a go at something different - maybe ensemble work or a local jazz band, or maybe just sitting in occasionally with a local band.

I must say a big thankyou to all at Kippax - past and present - for 8 happy years (my longest stay with any brass band). It's a great band for giving people opportunity to stand up (or sometimes sit in my case) and show off a bit, and also has a continuous turn around of music. With an excellent new conductor and a solid 1st section standard band, playing in 2nd section, its a great chance for another EEb player (and other vacancies - see website) to thrive in a band very much on the up.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kippax
    Remembrance
    great band
    local band
    Kippax tommorrow
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Steve, because you contribute to tMP regularly shows that banding is more than a pastime and I hope you have other interests to keep you occupied. Taking a complete break from playing might not be advisable if you want to return at a later stage. Things can physically change in your setup over time and not necessarily for your benefit over longer periods. Helping out on tuba in a different type of band with ensure your chops are used to some effect and in the development of more playing styles. I wish you all the best. Just remember to stay with tMP! ;)

4. steve butler

Cheers Brassneck, No it's not my intention to take a complete break from playing, just banding. I will still do occasional gigs on my sousaphone and I intend to get myself a bass as I know I could'nt survive without playing for long.
    The last time I dropped out of banding (left yorks imps 1975) I was out for 20 odd years :mad: I may not have the luxury of that much time now :-? .

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm with you on this issue. I quit playing at the age of 19 yrs (after music college) for 10 years and I blew once during that period at the Edinburgh Festival contest helping out my mid-late teens band Broxburn. What I didn't allow for when I did return was the dental work that was done in my 'rest' period and too much was expected too soon. I'm still paying the cost to some degree today (... that's another story and a long one at that!).

6. flugelman

flugelman Member

Well Butler I'm sad to see you go mate. You have given Kippax many fab memories. For instance your starring moment at Malton a few years back still brings tears to my eyes.

Take care mate and I for one hope you are back in the fold sooner rather than later

7. yeah, best of luck Steve. Banding is a big committment, but also leaves a big hole if you stop doing it. Lets hope that a short break freshens you up to return soon as the movement needs experienced players.

8. steve butler

Cheers dave lad, yes I have shed a few tears over that particular memory!!
    Theres also the lime green kecks - a vivid memory to say the least - but star memory for me is a close thing between the Yeatman Danny boy episode and the unforgetable Morrison duet "Tragedy" - Oh yes.
    I'm sure I'll see you soon mate knowing Wilky's use of deps :tongue:

9. steve butler

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Speaking of which, I've just sent you an email !!!!!
    - Wilkie

11. Sop123

Sop123 New Member

What can we say Mr B. don't think Kippax will ever be the same again !!!!
    I have to agree with David your performance at Malton was shall we say 'unforgettable'!!!!

Enjoy your retirement

Faye

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kippax
    Remembrance
    great band
    local band
    Kippax tommorrow
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Steve and I are considering a new bass partnership.
    I do the rehearsals and he does the gigs - perfect !!
    RE: The cruel comments about Malton.
    It was what Steve forgot that was unforgettable, but we musn't forget the many fine and humerous Solo's that Steve has inflicted on us over the years.
    He must have played every Bass Solo available from "Celestial Morn" to his own Seasonal fave - "Frostie the "****ing" Snowman" (Could the missing word be "Freezing" ?)
    He used to go into meltdown over that one !!
    He'll be back, and very welcome too.
    - Wilkie

14. flugelman

flugelman Member

As well retiring mate I think you need to change your email address and phone number. That might stop Wilky chasing you for dep jobs.

15. steve butler

What an honour to be the recipient of Sop123's first post!!!
    Oh how I missed fondling your head whilst forgetting solo's - welcome to tmp my sweet :tup

16. Sop123

Sop123 New Member

Maybe if you had been fondling my head that day you wouldn't have forgotten!!!!!!!