Different areas, different attitudes??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EuphStar, Sep 7, 2006.

1. EuphStar

EuphStar New Member

I've noticed over the last few months that quite a few conductors in the South Yorkshire area have resigned and wondered whether there is something in this, in that, do bandsmen/women have a different attitude to playing in a band in that area than perhaps say West Yorkshire or Lancashire?

I've played in bands in both areas over the years and have found that attitudes towards attending rehearsals, practicing and the general running of the band are different, people seem a lot more keen to turn up having pracised their part in Lancs and West Yorks than in South Yorks. Is this why conductors are leaving?
  2. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Or is it to do with the amount of professional and university musicians involved in brass bands in lancs and west yorks compared to that in south yorks that is maybe reflected in the differing attitudes??
  3. persins

persins Member

If you widen the area in question, I think you will find that there is a massive variation in the attitude of bands and bands-people depending on the region.

There is definitely a difference between the northern regions and those in the south as the committment level required is different.

It is difficult to back up these claims however, since every band is different and will deal with issues in their own way. My impression is that there is much more pressure placed upon people competing in the top sections up north than down south!