Diet? What diet!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Jan 30, 2004.

What's the best diet?

1. Eat sensibly and excercise more....

2. WeightWatchers

0 vote(s)
  3. SlimmingWorld

4. Atkins

5. Cabbage Soup

0 vote(s)
  6. Lager & Crisps

0 vote(s)
  7. Other strange fad diet

0 vote(s)
  1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

It's that time of year when some of us start to think about that summer holiday and the chances of getting into that fluffy pink bikini again. Obviously all banders are the peak of physical perfection and love themselves for themselves, but if you absolutely had to diet which would you choose? Why?
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest the "insert higher metabolism" diet

failing that, read an article in the paper the other day about people who eat more, and lose weight as a result. Yes, more.. Half a grapefruit with every common or garden meal is supposed to do the business..

or so the paper said..

Actually, you could have my job... then you don't get time/forget to eat...
  3. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I like WW because it makes you take notice of what you are eating everyday and IF you follow exactly what you are supposed to (i.e the right amount of dairy and fruit & veggie) then you can't help but eat a pretty nutritionally sound diet and loose weight. I sat through a session with my dad and a nutririonis (because of his diabete and other health problems, and everything she said made sense relative to how WW works. In theory, once you've done WW long enough, you've changed your lifestyle to the point where you are just eating healthier, not really "dieting."

Of course most of us Americans were sold on it because of Sarah Furgeson :wink:
  4. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Tried that once. I find you do get time/remember to eat, but it's mostly junk and you eat it whilst working, then you forget whether or not you've eaten so go to canteen and get another plastic sanger which you eat whilst jogging back across huge site to office, indigestion strikes, resolve to bring lunch in from now on, eat it before 10:00 a.m., forget lunch next day and so the whole vicious cycle begins every Monday....
    Not that I'm upset about it or anything, you understand.
    BMB with one of the world's slowest metabolisms due to insulin intolerance
  5. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

i voted this, Eat sensibly and excercise more.... cos ive seen it work, by my mum, and it does she lost weight and shes fitter than any1 i know for her age, gym does wonders with a good food.
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I tried to do a detox once....lasted til lunch time and then felt faint so had to eat loads of sugary things!
    If dieting (which sometimes i can do quite well, other times its a lost course (ie at the moment)) i'd do eatting healthy, eatting philadelphia and drinking lots of water and stop eating crisps, chocolate and drinking beer.

Try and avoid exercise...its :evil:
  7. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

I've been following an Internet diet for the past year and have started again in January after a slight relapse over Christmas. :(
    The website gives you a calorie allowance after you have filled in a questionaire- age,sex,height,weight,activity level etc. and you can then log everything you eat in a day and any exercise you do (bonus calories for this) and it keeps a running total and also gives you a nutritional breakdown. :)
    Sorry if this sounds like an advert but I have lost nearly 4 stone since I started a year ago. :D
    Beer and Crisps after Band practice does get in the way sometimes though :evil:
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I once went on an appetite suppressor.....

I didn't want to eat.
    I was constantly thirsty
    and when I did want to eat, I'd have this one huuuuuge meal!!!

I tried Xenacol......
    not pretty............. :oops:

Now on Jenny Craig, and so far she's going well. BUT THEY TOOK AWAY MY MILKSHAKES. AND NOW THEY WANT MY CORDIAL!!!!!!!!!!

THEY'RE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Atkins for me every time because it works.
    Everybody I know who's tried it (and didn't cheat) lost shed loads of weight. I lost a couple of stones too. Given it up now though cos it is boring after a couple of months.
    The health scares are absolute rubbish. The whole 'conventional' diet industry have been searching the world for people suffering health problems from Atkins and they found one person who 'Might' have suffered as a consequence. Tens of millions are on the diet so I think its worth the 'risk'.
    The risk arguments are usually based on the 'low fat diet' opinion that if you stuff yourselves with high fat food it will clog your arteries and give you a heart attack. The reverse is true though - on Atkins you are actually losing the fat in your body and therefore improving your health.
    Years ago a diet involved cutting out bread, potatoes, cakes and sweets (ask your parents, grandparents). In the seventies the 'low fat' industry started. Suddenly whole meal bread and jacket potatoes became the staple healthy option. The 'low fat' diet, loaded with carbohydrates, does not work so the portions sizes have to be reduced and you struggle, feeling hungry all the time.
    As I see it, Atkins is just back to the common sense beliefs of our ancestors who learned what worked and what didn't. All Atkins did was explain scientifically and physiologically why such an approach worked.
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i know this might annoy some people but i'm desperately trying to put ON weight! However much I eat I always feel hungry 15 minutes later, and I am seriously skinny... I don't even exercise! I sit around, eat, drink, and I just can't get any fatter!!!
  11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My advice.....Lard.
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

and marmite...
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well i tried eating food with as much lard as possible... even started getting 3 savaloys and double chips from the chippy for a while, but it just wasn't working out for me!

And no matter what happens, marmite will never be a part of my diet!
  14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Maybe there's a link between peoples weight and those who eat and don't eat marmite...... :shock: :shock:

Nope Marmite is 8) and high in vitamin B. It is also very good for hangovers because of the vitB which aids rehydration(that was learnt fom watching Philip and Fern :D )

Or something along those lines anyway!
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

do you ever think you know too much about food?
  16. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member a hearty lass who enjoys her food :wink: !
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Fair enough

actually that reminds me... i forgot that thing you said i could do with chicken... still just eating plain chicken, on its own ie. not tasty! Any chance of a quick reminder?
  18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

which one?...I have a wealth of recipe ideas (although not all for the unadventurous) :twisted:
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i think it involved a wok or a frying pan (one or the other... can't remember which, but i have both now!) but that's about as much as I can tell you!

maybe you could add a cookbook to the new library!
  20. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Well can't remember as I do make up cooking, but am guessing something along the lines of onions (fried in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar...nice), chicken, peppers, tomatoes (fresh are better, tinned are cheaper for student living), basil (loads of it and or other herbs) and any other veg, cook and eat...genius :shock:

Or a stir fry chicken...could add a sweet and sour sauce to make it lardier for weight gain and loads of noodles!