Diet Coke Plus Mentos Sweets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Jun 17, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Don't know if you are aware of the new craze sweeping the play grounds.

If you drop a packet of mentos mints/fruits into a 2litre bottle of diet coke you get a do-it-yourself geyser.

These guys here have taken this kitchen sink science and turned it into an art form.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I read about that in one of the tabloid papers yesterday .... apparently the trick is to get the mints into the bottle (preferably diet coke works best) as fast as possible!
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

WOW - amazing eh.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- yup, but don't try it inside the house! ;)
  5. Di

Di Active Member

I haven't downloaded the plug in to watch the video, but what Vicki did some years ago had a good effect too.

We were in a pub garden and she'd got a bottle of coke, with straw. She pinched the lemon out of my coke and shoved it into her bottle, ramming it through the next with the straw. As she held her hand over the top of the bottle, coke shot in an arc up about 4 feet through the straw! :rolleyes:
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Actually I heard about it on the Today programme on Radio 4. But then I am considerably posher than you. :tongue:
    Sounds like fun though, must try it out and see if I can hit the kids in the school playing field from my garden...
  7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

this was done aages ago on radio 1, by chappers. i saw the vid online, it was hilarious.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The display using a load of bottles and a couple of hundred mentos is awesome. :clap:

Mentos though? Are we talking Extra Strong Mints, (thats what they look like on the vids) or am I just blind to new sweety treats these days?
  10. its got to be chewy mints , after some heavy experimentation on the school car park , we've found that regular coke and mentos mints are best

its the bit in chewy mints that makes them chewy that makes it explode

another way of making it go up in a bigger boom is to cut the mints up to maximise the initial surface area contact :p
  11. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

i heard about that on a bus newspaper (lol) i really want to try it! isaw the picture its amazing!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- they do exist ... even with cheesy advertising
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahhhh right, now I know. I was confused - on the vids they look like a flat disk - like a strong mint, I think the chewy mints (which I now know are mentoes) are a bit more spherical in shape.
  14. tenor_horn_18

tenor_horn_18 New Member

Sound like good fun, i'll have to try it out sometime. Sarah x
  15. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I saw them in morrisons yesterday as i walked past. it reminded me of this thread!:biggrin:
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Fern and Philip did it on This Morning - so it must be amazing! :)
  17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

It works !!
    I tried it with my kids at the weekend. We did lots of preparation. We threaded a whole packet of Mentos Mints on some cotton, drilled a 1/8" hole through the coke bottle lid, then threaded the the cotton through the hole so that the mints hung just above the surface of the coke.
    When the cotton was released and the mints fell into the coke we got a jet of coke the height of the house that lasted about 30 seconds. Spectacular stuff.
    At the end you can even salvage the inside of the chewy mints - yum yum.