Did you hear this...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The Wherryman, Mar 10, 2010.

1. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

...on the BBC's Today programme on Radio 4 this morning ?

Creswell Colliery Band get a (brief) mention and, coincidentally, the band motto is Labor et Amor

2. Can tell how you spend your time recuperating Geoff, unfortunatly missed it as some of us have to work, did they play or just get a mention?

How many bands have a motto I wonder?
  3. The Wherryman

I won't spoil it for you, Karen. The idea of posting the link (the blue words 'on Radio 4 this morning?' ;)) was that people could hear the clip for themselves. I might be a saddo and in post-operative shock, but I ain't gonna check out every band's website just to answer your last question.

Hmm, on the other hand, I can't do much else at the moment :biggrin:

Perhaps an easier way, let's have a motto-fest. Come on all you bands with a motto - who are you and what is your motto?

The starter for 10....Cresswell Colliery Band Labor et Amor
  4. floppymute

floppymute Member

How about Ripit ad Maximum ? :wink:
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Cowes Concert Band (unofficial motto) "Sempre Perdendosi" - due to our age profile !!
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye we do at Point of Ayr
    "Et Tenebris Lux" out of the darkness

Attached Files:

7. tomskibabes

tomskibabes Member

Creswell band

Just listened to the Radio 4 clip, I presently play for and am Band Manager for Creswell Colliery band and yes our motto is Labor et amor.

in the clip you hear a band, it isn't Creswell Colliery band, its a newly fomed band by the community of Creswell with funding from one grant or another. This is not linked to the colliery band as the parish council will not support us in any way.

The community and parish council of Creswell do not support the Creswell Colliery Brass Band which was formed in 1899, we presently practice in the next village (Clowne) in the methodist chapel as no facilities in creswell were made available to us once the welfare closed, none which a struggling 4th section band could afford.

The new band and the original Colliery band could work well together and a merger of the training bands could ensure that a band continues in Creswell for another 110 years but I can't see this happening, I think it good that a new band has been formed in the times where many bands are folding but having two linked to one very small derbyshire village, both without a full band seems destinted to fail.

Just may opinions and not those of the band !!!!
  8. The Wherryman

No fairy godmother to sprinkle magic dust over your band then, Michelle? It's a pity when a brief sound bite, that sounds very positive, turns out to be something of a gilding of the lily. I'd have thought that a Creswell venue could have been offered to you at a 'mate's rate', in return for a concert or two. But at least you got a mention on national radio!
  9. tomskibabes

tomskibabes Member

Yes the mention on radio will be most helpful and positive, seems local bands are fairing well this week, Dinnington are not too far from us either.

We have struggled as a band for many years, we do offer concerts and of course, rememberance parade, church service and rememberance concerts, and are more than willing to be more prominent in the village.

We would love to move back into the village, our band has like most many items that need storage and lots of it, and we have a most extensive library, especially of very old "yellow" music, and original manuscripts that need constant care, so we come with plenty of bagage that not many places can accommodate.

10. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

Some lovely Latin mottos knocking about aren't there. Love yours at Point of Ayr. Sorry I'm a bit sad about latin - just think it's a beautiful stately way of expressing what your band holds dear. Good luck everyone in the areas!