Did anyone see the Kaiser Chiefs Electric Proms gig?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by yogi1000, Oct 29, 2007.

1. yogi1000

yogi1000 Member

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anybody caught the Kaiser Chiefs Electric Proms gig on BBC not long ago? Fantastic gig with so many different arrangements of their hits.

But, what I'm really interested in is one instrument in the orchestra - it was kind of a trombone, bass trombone, valved, bent to rest of the floor thing. It was absolutely huge and made a fantastic sound. Has anybody got any idea what that is? I've never seen anything like it before.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a cimbasso, used particularly in Italy where they tended to use valve trombones rather than slides, and where the tuba was slow in gaining a foothold in the orchestra. In recent years it has had something of a new lease of life in film music such as the Planet of the Apes remake:

Attached Files:

3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

4. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Saw the programme. I do not know what the instrument in question is but I thought that the concert was superb and a fantasic finish.
  5. yogi1000

yogi1000 Member

That could well be the one. Made a fantastic sound and just such a wierd shape I thought I'd try and find out!

The gig's still up on the bbc website if anyone's interested in watching and listening - great event and well put on by the bbc again.

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Does anyone know if they are releasing the electric proms on DVD?
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this the beast?