Devon Fantasy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubagod, Mar 1, 2006.

1. tubagod

tubagod Member

Hi there

my has just started playing Eric Balls "Devon Fantasy"
    can someone tell me something about the piece, and where i might find a recording of it?

2. tubagod

tubagod Member

and i have already found the first error in my post....
    it is supposed to my band, if you haven´t guessed it..
    yes it´s another Brain smashing schoolday...
  3. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

I have played Devon Fantasy in a contest before, it is a nice peice which on paper looks very simple but in truth there are a lot of music to be made, especially in the first and third movements. Also watch the fourth movement, make sure it doesnt gte too out of control otherwise it could end up very messy.

As far as recordings go im not sure if there is one.
  4. JohnB

JohnB New Member

I have a very old recording of Devon Fantasy by Fodens conducted by Harry Mortimer, issued by Paxtons in 1968. Sorry but no means of tranfering this to electronic format at the moment, but I can send you a scan of the notes on the record sleeve.
  5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

The old Foden's recording is the only one I have too; except I've put mine onto CD. Not sure if it's ever been released on CD; I think I recall a historical CD of Fodens but don't know if it's included (or if I'm dreaming).

March 2 - Just checked and I wasn't dreaming but Devon Fantasy is not included.
  6. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have played Devon Fantasy and if I remember rightly it is made more difficult by the way it is printed awkward page turns but it is a lovely piece to play
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have only ever heard it once and that was when it was used for the AREA CONTEST 3RD SECTION in 1975 may have been 1974 but it ws one of those years.
    Never played it so cant tell you anything about the piece.;)
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So Martin

Please tell us how your band are getting on with the piece, I am interested in finding out. Personally I'd say it is not that technically demanding, but for a lower section test piece it is most certainly muscially demanding. This is a beautifully scripted work by the master himself. The church bells in the (is it) 2nd movement on the Solo Cornet parts are so tranquil and peaceful, you'd almost belive you are there; and the Fair - wonderfully descriptive writing.

So - let us know yeah.
  9. tubagod

tubagod Member

Well we are on the way, but not there yet, i had the fortune of conducting the band on a rehersal 2 week ago, i before each movement i told them what that particulary movement was about so they had an idea of what they were playing. I can say, that i´m really getting into the piece now, but i´m not so sure with rest of the band. Somone should record this beautiful piece. by the way the Church in the third Movement the name of it gone at the moment but it something to do with town.
    I play 2. Baritone with this band, and will be crawling back to my place as 2. Eb bass when (or if) we get a new Baritone player.
    More updates will follow.

10. tubagod

tubagod Member

I´m back with an update

this Tuesday we are going to perform the piece, and we have really gone a long way with it. it is nice to play something that does not have Bernaerts written somewhere on it. we were having some difficulties with the tempo changes, but we have got it covered last weekend where we had rehersals friday and saturday. we are looking forward to play it now.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sounds as though you are doing well with the piece Martin, thanks for keeping us informed. Where are you playing it?
  12. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

It certainly didn't sound like that when St Agnes played it a couple of years ago :rolleyes:!!!

Seriously though, it's a lovely piece, just watch that it's kept together in the last movement - we had trouble with some sections of that too!

Good luck with it!! :)