Desperately Seeking Repair...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lynchie, Mar 17, 2004.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Last night I got my trombone out for the first time since the area for a quick bit of practice... only problem is the bell seems to be a funky new shape, I imagine probably from something under the bus falling onto it... Does anyone know where I could get the best repairs done? It's a Conn 88H-O if that makes any difference... Contact details, and ballpark prices would be useful!
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Oooh poor you. :cry:

Sorry I can't be much use, I only know of chaps in the Leicester area or the chap at Trevada music (you have to post or courier it to him in think) and I presume you would want someone local to you. :cry:
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

don't really mind where they are, I just want to find whoever does the best job... Leicester wouldn't be too bad as I can give it to my mum to bring in... I've had the Valve in London, and McQueens recommended so far, but no contact details or ideas of prices, or in fact any idea where the places are!!
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Haven't used him myself, but have heard others talk about him, one in particular was a trombone repair for someone whose trombone was "dinged" all round the bell cus the chap next to her kept banging week after week with his trombone. Apparently they gave best quote and did a fine job.
  5. ju33les

ju33les Member

McQueens is on the A666 at Pendlebury.....not too far from you.
    Alternatively Alan Gregory Music on Moseley Road in Fallowfield is suggested by Timbone.
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I think the guys at Fred Rhodes have a repair shop...
    If not try First Class Brass in Dunstable.
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Morning Paul,

I would still say McQueens, local to you and have a good reputation from what i can gather. Check the website alternatively the Valve did a great job on Matts but it is a bit of a treck from up North.
  8. Toby

Toby Member

I personally only use Mick Rath for repair work because I believe him to be the best. He's based in Huddersfield and can be contacted at 01484 549600. Without seeing the damage it is hard to give a guesstimate.
  9. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I second that.
  11. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Derek Farnell who works just outside Manchester..
    Have had Tuba repaired, and re-conditioned in the past by him..

Very good, and very reasonable..
  12. timbloke

timbloke Member

sent mine to a chap in doncaster, not bad job and a very reasonable price. pm me if you want details.

TIMBONE Active Member

Derek Farnell

Derek is one of the best, if it is more convenient to take it to Alan Gregory Music on Moseley Road in Fallowfield, it goes to Derek Farnell!
  14. tubbythe tuba

tubbythe tuba New Member

I always use Paul Andrews and have done for 15 years, you can have a look at his website at or give him a call on 01925 826927. His work is top quality. Also theres a link to streetmap for his address on his website.
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

thanks all! I think, for convenience sake I'll have a look at McQueens and Alan Gregory Music and see who gives the best price. Going any further than that is just going to be awkward due to my distinct lack of transport. Thanks for all the help though, I've made a note of everything just in case I ever find myself in another part of the country with a mangled trombone...
  16. Di

Di Active Member

Looks like you've got lots of places to try out but have PMd you with the details of the chap I recommended earlier just in case.