Desperately seeking flugel valve felts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScaryFlugel, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I have a Courtois flugel which desperately needs a new set of felts for the top of the valves (the outside, not the inside, although those are ropy too).

The UK supplier is struggling to get me some.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have a set they don’t need? Or can anyone make some? (Of course, for a reasonable fee!)

They are 2mm thick, outside diameter 15mm, inside diameter 9mm.

I don’t care what colour – sky blue pink – I don’t even care if they are not made of felt – but please – I’m nearly at the end of my tether!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Courtois
    UK
    Courtois flugel
    flugel valve
    inside
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Can't you ask Fred Rhodes?

4. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Yes, they'd be the UK supplier I mentioned. They are trying very hard, I'm sure, but no joy so far.

5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Try Windcraft, they have supplies of most parts, felts for baritone valves were £0.21 plus vat, and a fast turnaround too:

www.windcraft.co.uk

alanl58

6. jd

jd Member

7. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

thanks chaps. I have rung both these suggested shops. windcraft were very helpful but didn't have anything quite right. the music cellar were closed and haven't rung me back yet.

so can anyone punch some out to the right size for me?

i'm so depressed. we have band practice tonight and i willl spend it again wiping barely visible bits of felt off my valves and then clunking them down in the fast bits....

8. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

have you tried jp?

He has LOADS of spares and is a real nice guy (cheap too :p) his website is:
    http://www.jpbrass.co.uk
    His phone number or email is almost certainly on the website

9. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Now I think i might be getting somewhere! thanks- watch this space!

10. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! JP is top felt man!

Just received an eminently suitable set of felts, they fit a treat. Thanks for recommending him and thanks JP for sorting me out. Payment is on its way!