Designer cornet

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ian Lanceley, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Ian Lanceley

Ian Lanceley New Member

Cranbrook Town Band’s repiano cornet player, Dave Pettifer had a nasty accident at work recently which resulted in him severing the tendon that makes the middle finger on his right hand work. After an operation at the local was hospital, the tendon was stitched back together but Dave is now unable to use his hand for about three months.

Desperate to continue playing for the sake of his lip, Dave had a word with Principal Cornet and excellent musical instrument repairer Sharon McCallum. Sharon went away and had a think about the problem posed by Dave’s injury, delved into her box of bits and made the instrument shown in the photo – a left handed cornet! As a result, Dave is now able both keep his lip in – and to learn how play left handed to as well! We wish Dave a speedy recovery and hope to see some real two handed playing in future.

Just in case you are interested in left handed cornets, Sharon’s website can be found on:
  2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Sounds good, but where is the photo you refer to?
  3. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

was just going to ask the same question?
    this thread's just brought a thought to my mind...
    any of you left handed people out there is it hard to play an instrument using your left hand? because ive never come across any left handed musicians and was just wondering??
  4. Bungle

Bungle Member

Been there, done that

If this story sounds familiar, I posted it on this thread Ian's our MD by the way. Ian, you should know by now I promote the band and Sharons work on the internet whenever I get the chance :)

Anyway Ian, who is the new cornet player at BAE who 4BR described as 'supremely stylish' in their regional retrospective? Do think he would dep for us ;)
  5. Ian Lanceley

Ian Lanceley New Member

Left handed rep

Thanks Geoff - I hadn't sent you the write up on Dave's cornet so I thought I'd post it myself. As for the supremely stylish cornet player, what can I say......
  6. Bungle

Bungle Member

As no body else has done it, let me :hi you to tMP. You will find it it very addictive. Why not introduce yourself here, you might find some people on tMP who know you from your time up north or from the summer school. Guess I won't be able to update you on gossip from the band world anymore, as you will now know it already from here. Hope you are enjoying your 'holiday', you will find there are quite a few other teachers on here. See you Thursday.
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Maybe all left-hand musicians are playing French Horn? :rolleyes:
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

photo of left hand cornet

The article along with a photograph is on 4BR here. Any left handed players are welcome to join the band :)
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

The cornet will be on display on Sharons trade stand at the Hove contest on Sunday 22nd. The cornet is also for sale as the players tendons have now recovered. I have been told it is based on a Regent.

Please go say hello at Hove and discuss any brass instrument problems, especially with trombones, you might have with her.