Designated Instrument Cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nook1938, Mar 21, 2008.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Yes a designated instrument cleaner or a person who "washes" the instrument out after they have been returned when a player leaves the band and also services the instrument while in the band store room, when it is released to a player who is thinking of joining it is in tip top condition, not in one where the joining player needs to wash a load of dried "whatever" from the instrument to be able to play it, plus the fact that, who knows what nasty's are breading in the pipe work.

I have thought of this for a while but not being a member of a band or on a commitee it did not present itself until now. Most bands I have played with do not have anyone to take on the task mentioned above, and the instruments I been given to play have produced a lot of "gunge" when a clean with cold water in the bath takes place. I also blame a lot of colds and chest complaints over the years to the instruments handed to me when they are in such a bad state of cleanliness, plus the hygiene factor, no one thinks of what these pieces of metal contain after someone plays them.

2. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

I don't know about other bands but we try to take maintenance seriously. Running a Main Band & a Training band we find loan instruments do drift in and out, particularly cornets. These are not too much of a problem, the real grief comes from the longer term (experienced??) players who, for whatever reason refuse to do basic cleaning or even moving of tuning slides.

Too often we hear "I didn't realise because when we tune 'I always lip it up' No one ever knows!"

Would this explain the adjudicators all too predictable remarks about tuning and intonation perchance??

3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Good point there about "band instruments" I will raise this at the next committee and volunteer to do it. I know it sounds daft actually volunteering to do a job like this, but seeing as I am sometimes called on to do small repairs to save expense of sending away, it may in the end save me time, and possibly the band money, if a small fault is caught early enough to prevent it becoming a big expensive repair.

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

must admit ive got my own instrument and clean it out about once every 6-8 months.
    But this sounds a very good idea you have put down here.

5. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Think of the cost of instruments, a instrument is returned and put away in a "cupboard" along with the other "spares", yet there are thousands of pounds and no one to look after them, yes again there is someone who will make a note of the number for insurance procedure, but it is left to the person who is issued the instrument, to clean it if they will. Come on Bands, take pride in your tackle.