Desert Island Discs....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Anno Draconis, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

OK, not so original, but I can't find this done before (I did a search).

You know the deal; you're off to a desert island, never to return. You can take 5 recordings with you, what are they going to be? With reasons, if you can be bothered!;)

Here's mine...

The Stone Roses: The Stone Roses - the soundtrack to my teenage years. Awesome
    The Who: Live at Leeds - simply the best live album ever made. I will brook no argument about this!
    Black Dyke: The Complete Champions - still my favourite band CD after 2 decades. Arguably the best Dyke line-up ever, with Parkes at the height of his powers.
    Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro recorded by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras, because I've listened to it hundreds of times and still hear something new in it every time.
    Mahler: Symphony No.3 - any decent recording, because it says just about everything there is to say about life in 90 minutes of earth-shattering music.

Any more?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Marriage of Figaro
    Charles Mackerras
    The Stone Roses
    AwesomeThe Who
    Live at Leeds
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

I'm surprised there's not been much response to this one. But I shall apply some thought and prepare my five....

1) UNKLE - Psyence Fiction - This album surprised me when I first heard it, it has such a spectrum of styles and emoptions. There is a track on that can suit every mood. And if you ever feel down there's nothing like Thom Yorke on "Rabbit in your headlights" to remind you how **** life is!!

2) Longpigs - The sun is often out - This is a much underrated and fantastic album.

3) 4Hero - Two Pages - In a similar way to the UNKLE album, it provides a number of different styles and is just such a fantastic album with some great songs on it. However the new 4hero album is out today so I may be tempted to replace this.

4) Tchaikovsky 6, Romeo & Juliet, 1812 - I've got a CD with these on and it is such a powerful symphony, the fantastic third movement and the powerfully emotional fourth movement. Not sure who is playing but it is great anyway.

5) Youngblood Brass Band - Center : Level : Roar - I think i'd need something to remind me of banding, but I've not got a great number of band CDs so this would give me something a bit more upbeat to listen to.

That was a lot harder than I thought it'd be, there are so many that could have made it, and on a different day probably would. I'm also fearful that the list above is a bit too depressing! Which may not be a good thing if stuck on a desert island. :cool:

4. Texus

Texus Member

As ever, an intriguing question! My list probably changes every so often, but here goes :

1. Black Dyke Complete Champions - absolutely superb playing that includes 3 of my all time favourite test pieces.

2. U2 - Rattle and Hum - great tracks throughout, brings back some great memories of that period of time.

3. Shostakovich 5th Symphony - a great recording by the CSO and Previn. I can remember seeing the Bass Bone part for the first time and thinking 'wow, how loud? here we go...' Music that really encompasses everything. Pity the violins on repetative top A's at the end.

4. Bernstein - West Side Story (complete). Apart from some dreadful moments of horrid operatic singing in what should be a raw show, this is great. It has stayed with me for many years, and is possibly the greatest show ever composed.

5. Mahler 4. CSO conducted by Solti. Not the loudest or longest of his works, but maybe the most beatiful. There is a stunning moment in the 1st movement where the orchestra opens up for the first time.... No trombones in this one!

Still a really difficult question to answer though.. I have left out MF2 and other jazz albums that really could have made it, along with the first NYJO album i heard....

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Desert Island 40Gb iPod or similar, anyone?

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Hmmmmm now you're talking.

7. Anno Draconis

OK, but only if you've got a solar powered battery charger;)

8. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Or a very long extension lead!

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Here's my five:
    1) Grace (Jeff Buckley) A great album that I never get tired of listening to.
    2) Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys) Great music for a desert island.
    3) Favourite things (John Coltrane) Difficult choice this for my favourite jazz CD, just edged out Atomic Basie or some Dave Brubeck
    4) Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (David Bowie) Banned from playing this at home due to over-playing.
    5) Finally a band CD, probably Windows of the World (YBS) As well as the brilliant title track there's some other great pieces on it.

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Blimey .... ( is it cheating to have mulitple disc sets?)

1) Led Zepplin - Re-masters
    2) Pink Floyd - tough call between wish you where hear and Dark side but WYWH gets the nod (just
    3) YBS - Kings of Europe
    4) Sibelius - Finlandia by LSO
    5) The Ultimate Guitar Collection 1 - Julian Bream

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  11. Anno Draconis

I don't think so. Any R4 listeners want to clarify the rules?:D

(two of mine have multiple CD's in the same case, so I'm going to say that's allowed, but boxed sets - multiple cases in a box - aren't)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Marriage of Figaro
    Charles Mackerras
    The Stone Roses
    AwesomeThe Who
    Live at Leeds
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:dunno ... I flirt across so many styles that it would be impossible for me to choose! :(

14. groovy

groovy Active Member

1) A Night At the Opera (Queen) - If I had to choose one Queen album this would be it. Classic album, amazing songs on there...Bohemian Rhapsody, Love of My Life, Death On Two Legs... My favourite band.
    2) The World of Borodin (Various) - 2nd symphony is awesome, reminds me of tour with youth orchestra in 2004, but this CD also includes my alltime favourite piece of music...Nocturne from String Quartet in D (I know, I know, string quartet)
    3) Up All Night (Razorlight) - This is my favourite album I think, could listen to it every day for the rest of my life, Johnny Borrell is great.
    4) Now That's What I Call Brass Vol. 3 (various) Because I couldn't take every band CD that I would want, this is a compromise as it has a great mixture of things on there and includes one of my favourite pieces in Hymn To The Fallen, and two great testpieces - Harrison's Dream and Extreme Make-over.
    5) The Soundtrack of Pride and Prejudice (English Chamber Orchestra) Sad I know but its as close as I could get to my favourite film, and would remind me of Mr Darcy and that would make me happy. :oops: