Desert Island Disc

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sonny Barker, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

This may have been done before, but there are lots of new discs out, so let's have another go.

You're getting marooned. You can take one band disc. No double cd's! Vinyl is allowed also.

Which disc? Why?
  2. Frontman

Frontman Member

For all of the memories that it holds, it would have to be the British Bandsman Centenary Concert which was performed by The John Fosters Black Dyke Mills Band, Yorkshire Imperials Band and Besses oth Barn Band. A truely memorable occasion.

Recorded live at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester several years ago.
    Seem to remember that it was Phil Shaws 1st concert with Dyke after leaving Besses and Jason Smith played on the back row at Besses along with Raz Mather and Roger Fairbrother. Great times.
  3. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

I remember that concert! RSA 'The Beacons' was premiered (what a composer!) and Bob & Nick were incredible. It was also the one time I saw HM conduct.
  4. Beesa

Beesa Member

Black Dyke - James Cook - Circumnavigator (1975)

Vinyl - recorded after their third successive win at the Open, Belle Vue.

I just have to look at that magnificent LP Cover, before I even place the record on the turntable and I'm back there as a kid in the audience of the Kings Hall.

Gilbert Vinter's epic piece for an epic occasion!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

For all round enjoyment, for me it would have to be the LP 'Grimethorpe Entertains'. There are many ithers that I would pick for the odd track though.
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Played on that. 1987.

Although I don't think it was very good, I'm afraid.
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Dyke's The Complete Champions. 25 years old and still a benchmark recording.
  8. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

I had a re-listen the other day. Magic.
  9. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

10. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Mine could be 'Blitz' by Black Dyke Mills. Consistently brilliant from start to finish and still stands up today. Complete Champions runs it close, but the programming on Blitz just pips it.
  11. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Maynard Ferguson....Live at Jimmy's

best recording of Macarthur Park!
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Classic; worth it just for Ron Harrison playing the sop descant in the final section of "Kingdom Triumphant" ...