Derick Kane at Hadleigh Temple, 24th October

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, Sep 22, 2003.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Friday Night Is Music Night

Friday 24th October, 7 pm

Derick Kane - Euphonium

Captain Carol Evans - Vocal

Hadleigh Temple Band and Timbrel Brigade

Compere - Roger Buxton (BBC Essex)

Proceeds to Little Haven Children's Hospice

Tickets £5.00 (Concessions £4.00)

Available now from Peter Edwards, Telephone 01702 582671

(As and when I find out what Derick is playing, I'll add that to the post)
  2. PeterBale

News of Derick's contributions:

With the band he is due to play "My Unchanging Friend" (Ivor Bosanko) and "Shepherd Song" (Trevor Davis). He is also playing "Carnival of Venice" with either piano or cd accompaniment.
  3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

CD accompaniment for C of V? Where can you get that from?

Looks like it'll be a good concert! :) How far is Hadleigh Temple from Nottingham :?
  4. PeterBale

Hadleigh is on the A13, about 7 miles this side of Southend, about 150 miles according to the AA route-finder.

There is a possiblity that the start time may be put back to 7.30, but I am waiting for confirmation of this. If anyone is coming, there will be no problem paying on the door, as we can seat 400 people if required.

Regarding Carnival of Venice, all I know is that the band is not accompanying him, and he is arranging his own accompaniment.
  5. PeterBale

Just to say that Derick did us proud!

Having been delayed as the result of a serious accident at the Dartford Tunnel he came on stage with no warm up, blew half a dozen notes to clear away the cobwebs and came straight in on the top "C" at the start of "My unchanging friend", which he followed with Trevor Davis's "Shepherd Song". In the second half, this time with piano accompaniment from Carl Carter, our songster pianist, he played "Carnival of Venice" followed by an "Exultate" by Mozart, with Monti's "Czardas" as an encore.

The band played Les Condon's festival march "Celebration", "Trepak" from The Nutcracker Suite, Len Ballantyne's "Mid all the traffic", Norman Bearcroft's "They'll sing a welcome home" (played to bring the audience back after the interval) and Eric Ball's "Star Lake". In addition, we accompanied timbrel displays to "Marching Onward" (Bosanko), "Assignment" (Dudley Bright) and "Emblem of the Army".

The vocal soloist, Captain Carol Evans, sang four songs from her recent cd, produced to raise funds for a new building at her local corps (church) in Saffron Walden, and a cheque for £900 was handed over to Little Havens Children's Hospice.
  6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I was disappointed that I couldn't make it, but i'm glad to hear that it was a success. :cry: :roll:
  7. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

well done Mr Kane - what a guy! :wink: