Derek Jackson (Black Dyke, Faireys)

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by NickyJ, Oct 19, 2013.

1. NickyJ

NickyJ New Member

It's with a very heavy heart that I post the following sad news; my Dad, Derek Jackson, passed away today after a short illness.

Over the past few weeks many of you have been in touch with messages of support and his partner Christine, my brothers Simon and Tim and I would like to thank you all for your very kind words and thoughts; it has really helped to know how much he is loved and respected.

I know Dad will be missed by many in the banding community and so I'll post here regarding funeral arrangements for anyone wishing to join us to celebrate his wonderful life.

Thank you, Nicky Jeffries
  2. simonium

simonium Member

That is very sad news. To me at least, he was the greatest, and with Lyndon Baglin the only player I can think of whose sound could define and shape that of an entire band. He will be sorely missed.
  3. pedaller

pedaller Member

May I just add my own sincere condolences to Derek's family. A true legend, who could fill the Albert Hall on his own, with that huge, sonorous sound we all try to emulate, but fail to do so miserably. As simonium quite rightly states, his sound was part of the defining glory that was the Black Dyke Mills Band and others for many years. He was a giant of a player, who will be sorely missed by many, some of whom only knew him from his magnificent sound and depth.
    Rest in Peace, Derek and God Bless.
  4. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Nickyj - I'm in the category that pedaller refers to above - I never met your father but he was a true legend of the engine room and many of us aspire to that huge warm sound he made. From all the various messages I've seen on my facebook feed over the weekend he was a musician that had an impact far beyond his circle of family , friends and those he played with and I hope this will be of some comfort to you also.
  5. Mello

Mello Member

RIP Jacko,

One of the greatest ever. That says it all.

My sympathy goes to all the Jackson Family.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I never met him but heard him play many times. His memory lives on in my music library and in the hearts of many musicians and brass music lovers around the world. My sympathy to the family and his close friends and associates.
  7. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

As a young guy I was fortunate to spend many Monday evenings sitting at the back of the Dyke band room just behind Mr Jackson, and Mr McNab. Sometimes trying to lip-read the 'voiceless' comments which passed between them, and always amazed at the power, sound, and technique of Jacko. I remember my colleague, the late Bernard Tucker, a very keen Dyke fan, asking him how he liked the new conductor, Wilf Heaton, and the reply. 'A bit posh, but knows his stuff !
    Thoughts are with his family and friends. Rest in peace 'Mr'BBb. You will for ever hold your place with the Brass Band Legends.
    Lofty Snr.
  8. LAB

LAB Guest

Very rarely have I posted on this forum or indeed any other social media but was saddened to hear of the passing of Derek Jackson on Facebook on Sunday. I amongst many I'm sure have raised a glass in his memory. Without doubt the benchmark exponent of the BB and to feel and hear that unique sound is something that I'm not sure will ever be seen again. I was very lucky to have played at Faireys many moons ago sitting next to the legend which was a real privilege and have happy memories. RIP Jacko...
  9. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Just returned earlier this evening from an emotional day at Derek's funeral. A day with some tears but also lots of smiles and laughs remembering the great man. For those that may be interested the band which played, conducted by Derek Broadbent, was -
    Soprano - Kevin Crockford
    Cornets - Lee Rigg, Brian Taylor, Phil Chalk, Norman Christie, Jim Shepherd, Gary Parker, Jimmy Leggat and Sean Conway
    Horns - David Pogson, Sandy Smith, Kevin Wadsworth and David Essex
    Euphs/ Baris - David Thornton, Ian Yates, Morgan Griffiths and Stuart Derrick
    Troms - Derek Southcott, Phil Rose and Mark Frost
    Basses - Phil Goodwin, Geoff Harrop, Colin Aspinall, Simon Gresswell and Dave Nesbitt. ( I hope I haven't missed anyone)
    I hope we managed to do Derek justice in our playing.
    In addition the congregation was full of more of Dereks' colleagues from his illustrious banding career including Alan Holdsworth,John Clough, John Slinger, John Clay, Malcolm Turton, Colin Hardy, John Gillam, Gilbert Symes, Phil Fox, Tony Whittaker, Jim Cant, Simon Stonehouse, Trevor McCormick and current players such as Matt Routley, Matt Wade, Glyn and Helen Williams and many others. ( Again apologies to anyone I have missed)
    I only list all of the above to show in how much esteem Derek was held by so many banding people.
    Much has been written about Dereks' contribution to the brass band movement and I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that alongside players such as Lyndon Baglin, Jim Shepherd and a handful of others Derek must be considered as re-defining the expectations and capabilities of his chosen instrument.
    Derek - It was a privilege to play alongside you for so many years at Dyke and Faireys and an honour to play again for you today.
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

What a man......wonderful. A band full of friends to see him over the river.