Derek Bourgeois - Serenade

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Most of you will know the piece - 11/8, 13/8 etc. When I played it with a wind band as a teenager, the conductor said that the piece was DB's wedding march, and was in 11/8 as his wife had broken her leg and so walked up the aisle in a plaster cast. When I mentioned this to LBB the other day, he burst out laughing and said, "Yeah, right." 20 odd years on the explanation does seem a tad far fetched - so has anyone else heard this explanation, or was I, (along with all the other players in the wind band) hoodwinked by the conductor?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've heard that too - and I wasn't in the band you were in!

Edit: It's also mentioned on his Wikipedia entry....
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... almost!
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yup - t'is true that it was written for the wedding....

but then Brassneck's beaten me to it ;)
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Mr Bourgeois is well-known for having a sense of humour. The movements of his Concerto No. 1 for Brass Band have subtitles such as 'Monsieur Ravel Turns in his Grave' and 'The War March of the Ostriches'; the euphonium solo Euphoria is apparently a description of a visit to a funfair, which must have been a bewildering experience given the enormous difficulty of the piece; and he has written two pieces for trombone, one a lugubrious waltz called Bone Idyll and another called Osteoblast (some knowledge of anatomy required for that last one).

In an interview published in Patrick and Elgar Howarth's book 'What a Performance!' he also recounts the time that Stanshawe played his Fantasia on Tico Tico. I recall that the final percussion break in the penultimate bar includes directions such as 'Saturn V', and they used a load of bomb tanks which had failed to go off at the Granada contest. They didn't fail at the Yeovil contest though, and caused plaster to fall off the ceiling and some of the audience to leave as they thought they were under attack!
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the euphonium piece, but in 2004, he wrote a contest piece for fanfare band called "funfair", which is probably just as bewildering. The three movements are called "Merry-go-rounds", "Ghost Train"and "Tunnel of Love: Big Dipper"
    Certainly worth to listen to. It was performed by the Gelders fanfare Orkest at the 2005 Kerkrade contest (WMC), and it's on the highlights-double CD of the fanfare band contest.
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I think you've all been on Wikipedia and edited the page, just to show my bro in a good light.:ranting2:
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've heard the same story too, and I live nowhere near any of you who have posted so far!
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sad reminiscence warning.

It was one of three pieces that won Besses the BBC Radio 3 Band of the Year award in (I think) 1979, along with Elgar Howarth's In Memoriam RK and Frank Cordell's Spirals.

That's where I remember it from....slightly before Wiki ;)
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

OK I'll let your one go, but as for the rest :tongue:
  11. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Hehe... The same story came to Denmark :) Love DB music.. It has such character..

Please write some more Mr. Deci Bellourgeois :)