depping work

Discussion in 'Deputies Available' started by flugelboy, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

i am a flugel player that is based in salford and looking for depping work.i am willing to dep for any section ranging from top section right down to fourth.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    salford
    depping work
    section
    flugel player
  3. Boner

Boner New Member

depping

when you say any band from championship to fourth, who do you play for?

are you good enough for any band? you have no public profile.

also, when you say depping 'work', does this mean that you are looking to make money out of an amateur organisation or are you offering your services for nothing?

4. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

no i would be charging for doing them,but this is also to get the experiance of playing with differant bands.and yes i do think im good enough to dep for bands from all the sections

5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Thats rather presumptious and rather unfair, I also notice that you have a blank profile, and should perhaps think before you reply?

For the record, he is more than capable of playing with any standard of band, and did some depping jobs for a well known Championship section band over the Christmas period.

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well said Craig...
    I'm assuming this is wee scottish Stu we're talking about.... in which case he is more than capable of helping out in all sections. I've heard he's a very good player and seen him on a certain DVD when he was playing in the Scottish Youth Band ;-)

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

This is a very good point though!!

8. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

a dont c wat this has to do with me looking for depping work.yes i would be charging,but there isnt many players around that wouldnt charge for helping a band out.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ok guys - time to chill I think. There's nothing that states people have to fill in a public profile - it is their prerogative, you've taken the choice not fill yours anyway, Boner! ;)

However, if people were to read the guidelines for the Guest & Dep Corner and post accordingly, these awkward questions would be avoided? Perhaps you can repost your availability flugelboy, by answering the pointers in the Guidelines here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Thats where you are dead wrong, there are lots and lots of people who do favours without payment just because they love playing!!

11. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

ye for bands that they no people in.i have been down here since september,so i don't no that many bands yet.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    salford
    depping work
    section
    flugel player
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Let's stop this now eh? Surely it's up to an individual if he/she wants to charge for his/her services - and as a result - it'll be up to bands if they wish to engage the services of that individual.

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Stu's good enough to play at any level of banding so thats not an issue, I would think his main reason behind posting is so he can get more experience of different level banding down here.

As for money, you can't expect anybody to be out of pocket when helping a band out.
    Personally I've played with bands in the past and not charged but have been out of pocket for doing the gig, so if he's upfront in wanting a nomial fee I don't see a problem.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just my thoughts, good luck finding some gigs Stu :tup

15. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Come on now! Are you trying to put this poor guy off TMP all together some of you are having a go at him like a bunch of animals! Give the guy a break, what is he going to think of the members of this website if we carry on like this. He's a 'TMP Newbie' can't we try and make him feel a little more welcome!!!

I have no idea who this person is, but surely you can give him the benefit of the doubt. Theres obviously people in this forum who do know of him and know he's a good player. I know what its like moving to a new area and knowing nothing about the bands in the area and understand why he would like to dep for a while. When I moved I would have put a post on here very simililar if I'd known about TMP.

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Thank you Hannah, it is disturbing when you see how welcoming some can be. Lets STOP this now shall we?!

So 13 posts later..... Flugel player willing to help out any band.

And a warm welcome to tMp mate.

17. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

thanks mate.good to be linked up.

18. Boner

Boner New Member

My profile may be blank but I'm not the one trying to sell myself.

Presumptious I may have been, but judging by Flugelboys' reply I was also correct. Go and audition for the Halle if you want to make money from playing and leave brass bands alone.

19. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

wat is ur problem mate.i am a student down here in salford who wants to gain experiance in banding down here,and if i want to make a little bit of money while i am at it i dont see a problem

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Welcome, Flugelboy, and best of luck with your studies. I'm sure you know all this already but if you are hoping to charge bands for "dep" services you could do worse than read this thread here. You will note that there are quite a lot of banders who are opposed to paying players as a matter of principle (sometimes with very good reason) and Boner is one of them. Maybe it would help if could post some idea of your "rates" for a variey of jobs - 3rd section concert inc. solo spot, top section contest, etc. - and an idea of your previous experience?. Just a thought..;)

21. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

my experiance

ok,well say a top section band for example wanted me to do 1 rehersal and a concert i would probably charge them,£10 for the rehersal and £30 for the concert,but off say a fourth section band i would charge £10.i have played for quite alot of bands in various sections.i have dun jobs for bands like wingates and newtongrange in the top section.i was signed with jedforest instrumental in the 2nd section pushing for 1st section back in scotland.i am currently registerd with balckley brass band in the 4th section.and i am also a high placed member of the national youth brass band of scotland.i hope that kind off give a ruff idea to my experiance playing at all the differant levels

22. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Well put!! :clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.