Denton M.D. to move on

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by BIG Paul, Nov 4, 2008.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Press Release

Denton brass announces the resignation of Jonathan Davies as musical director.

Studies take precedence for talented MD

Following successful two year tenure as MD of Denton Brass Jonathan will leave the band after completing the schedule of engagements up to the end of the year. Jonathan is leaving to devote more time to his studies at the RNCM in Manchester and to take the opportunity to gain additional playing experience before returning to conducting. Jonathan has made significant progress with the band and has enjoyed success in contesting at Fleetwood and Pontins in 2007 along with the bands best results in recent history at Whit Friday and a 5th place at Pontins last month.

Jonathan said

On handing in his resignation to the band Jonathan said “I have enjoyed every moment of my time as musical director of the band. Firstly I must thank everyone associated with the band for giving me the opportunity to start my conducting career at such an early age. I have gained so much experience and skills that I can take forward to future ventures. I have made many friends at the band and it has been great to see members improve over the last 2 years. The players that I have worked with since being at the band have given everything they could and got the rewards they deserve. I wish every success to the band for the future, especially for the celebrations planned next year in their 150th year”

Denton reply

Paul Keogh band chair said “Jonathan has improved the band tremendously over the time he has been with us, we immediately recognised his outstanding musical talent but he has also shown organisational skills and has been totally committed to the role of M.D. He has taken in his stride the challenges and issues of banding at our level. In addition to developing the main band he has also helped to develop the training band, assisting our tutors to increase both numbers of players and improve their standards. He has also brought the band into closer contact with community by working with a local school. We understand Jonathan’s need to focus on his studies and support his decision. We believe he is one of the rising stars within the brass band movement and we have been privileged to be part of his early career. We wish him every success in the future and we know his destiny will be at the highest levels of banding.

Continued involvement

Whilst vacating the MD position Jonathan will continue to work with the training band to ensure its ongoing development. The training band will look to develop local musical talent and will be taking part in the celebration of 150 years of banding in July 2009.
  2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Good Luck Jonathan, I'm sure you leave Denton in a positive position and looking forward to 2009.
    Nice to see a band and MD part company on good terms too :)