Dent removal

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphsrock, Sep 3, 2009.

1. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

Does anyone know how to remove dents, or any cheap dent removers in the surrey/southampton area?
    I have a very damaged french horn that I rescued from a skip....
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is it worth repairing? What's the make & model?
  3. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Could you find me a Bb and F large bore conn or Bach next time - it must be posh round your way!
  4. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

How far can you travel? I know that Hayes Music are very good - they have repaired my instruments many times so I would throughly recomend them.

I think they are now based near Newgate Lane in Fareham.

5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The method for removing dents depends on where it is. But the basic method is to iron or roll them out over a shaped anvil with a heavy smooth roller. If its in a tube you chase them out from the inside with ever increasing balls or tapered weights or with a rod inside and shaped anvils on the outside.
    It really depends on the damage and value of the instrument. If you dont mind giving it a go then you could do what I did with some skip recovered instruments. I removed dents in the bells of cheap school instruments by simply rolling them between 2 kitchen rolling pins at 90 degrees to each other.
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member - one of the finest repairers in the country (in Elstead, Surrey, just off the A3)
  7. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

There's meant to be a new method now where you use really strong magnets and metal balls. The metal balls go inside the instrument (where the dent is) and then you can remove the dent by using the magnet.
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That's not a new method. Been around in some form since at least the 1970's. Back then, it didn't work much better than the traditional ball-and-driver technique.
  9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Oh right. I think it's meant to be very good now.
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I wonder if he could do anything with my rather battered 26" bell end (in Methley Yorkshire, just off the M62)