dennis wick heritage mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by second_horn, Aug 6, 2014.

1. second_horn

second_horn Member

Does anybody else use a dennis wick heritage mouthpiece? I bought myself one today, for my tenorhorn, cost me £85, I did get to try it out first in the shop, and so far I really like it. Before I was using a standard DW 2, which came with my instrument, but I had heard great things about the heritage, so thought I'd treat myself. I just wonder, as it was double the price of a classic DW, if it will live up to my expectations!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    dennis
    DW 2
    dennis wick heritage mouthpieces Does
    classic DW
    standard DW
  3. euphoria

euphoria Member

I have just made a temporary return to euphonium after a 10 year break from playing followed by 3 years on bass trombone. On the trombone I use a Schilke 51 which I tried on the euph, but playing in the higher register was just too much work.

I then tried my old weapon of choice - the regular DW 4AL which I also found wasn't working in the upper ranges. I initially put it down to me needing to readjust my embouchure, but a mate of mine said I should try his Heritage 4AL which I had never heard about. I thought it was the ugliest piece of metal I had ever seen, but gave it a go. It was amazing.

The response and flexibility was so easy in every register. It has also made the intonation easier, which is crucial since I play on a band supplied old Sovereign 967 euphonium which is stupid high on the 6th partial. Of the 5 mouthpieces I have tried, the Heritage was the only one where I could lip the offending tones down without too much hassle. I suppose it is down to the weight distribution in the mouthpiece.

I started reading about it and decided to try the new Heritage 4ABL also, which I ended up buying. I haven't regretted it!

The tone is (I guess) on the bright side compared to heavier equipment like the David Childs mouthpiece.

I hope you are going to enjoy your new equipment

Cheers Erik

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. second_horn

second_horn Member

Thanks Erik, although I have to say I rather like the look of my heritage! My horn is gold lacquered so the gold with silver rim looks much nicer than the plain old silver DW I had before!

5. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

I have one for my tenor horn, I like the tone it helps me produce in comparison to the normal DW.

6. thepublican

thepublican New Member

I have tried both the normal DW 2 and heritage 2 mouthpieces for horn. The Heritage one was OK, the normal DW 2 felt like I was blowing into a brick! I've recently moved up to an Alliance 2 from and an Alliance 3 and it really suits my French horn style inset embouchure.

However if you ask 5 people about mouthpieces you'll probably get 5 different answers!

If you find a mouthpiece that feels comfortable and does what you want it to do use it. It doesn't matter what name is etched onto it.

7. John_D

John_D Member

I used to use a DW2 on horn, now I use a DW Heritage 1A, or occasionally a Phil Parker horn m/p.

8. classicbrass

classicbrass Member

I much prefer the Heritage 1L for BBb bass than the Bach 18 / 24 shape - it just seems to seat better on my lips and feels far more comfortable.

9. CoopErQuiet

CoopErQuiet New Member

I had the same reservations before I bought my heritage but it's brilliant, worth every penny.

10. brassbabe

brassbabe New Member

Just adding my thoughts on this, I tried out a borrowed Heritage 1 tenor horn yesterday (usually on a standard DW2), absolutely loved it, tried to explain that it felt like playing something covered in velvet and made of sponge..??!!! so easy, smooth and forgiving too. I bought one online as soon as I got home. Totally impressed, definitely worth a look guys :)