Denis Wick Heritage 4AL Euph/Trom Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Does anyone know where i'd be able to buy a DW Heritage mouthpiece? I'm assuming the trombone one is the same as the euphonium one that is listed on Denis Wicks website. Only shopping link i've found is for John Packer and they are sold out.
  2. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I may be wrong, but don't euph players get the SM Ultra instead of the Heritage? Or do they get the heritage too?
  3. Mallyl

Mallyl New Member

There was a few on ebay.
  4. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

Have you tried band supplies. (0113 245 3097) i'm sure they had one in on Saturday when I was looking for a 4bs.
  5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Cheers I'll have a look :).

No point getting a SM Ultra as i've got umpteen mouthpieces that are similar.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Indeed you are wrong. :)

There are various models of similar size that are commonly and successfully used on euph - Wick 4AL (with or without Heritage option), Wick SM4, Wick SM4 Ultra, etc.. etc... etc...
  7. simonium

simonium Member

What have you got that's similar? The Bach 4G, Wick 4AL, SM4, Alliance 3 are all similar in terms of diameter by that's as far as it goes. I've owned them all and in my humble opinion there's very little in the list that approximates to the new Ultra range. I did try a Heritage 3AL when they first came out and was very disappointed. It seemed to lose sonority in the upper register when giving it plenty, but that's probably just me!

I've been on the Ultra 3 for just over a year and haven't got the itch to change, which for me is very unusual. Give them a go if you've not already.
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Fair point i've not had a go on the Ultra but by the look of it I don't see how it can be much different from the Bach type mouthpieces and other SM mouthpieces. I'm playing on a DW 4AL at the minute but need to something a little easier to blow, I've got a JK which would do the job but I'd heard the Heritage is easy to blow.

After seeing the prices though I might have to make do with what I've got :biggrin:
  9. Euphgit

Euphgit Member

You should at least try the Ultra. I went from an SM4 to an SM3U and there is a big difference
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Cheers for the feedback. Reading a few posts the SM Ultra's seem to be good mouthpieces, but how do they differ from other mouthpieces? The only reason I'm looking for a new mouthpiece is that I need something that can help shift some more air.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Why don't you PM Steven Mead for more advice? He designed it.
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If you want to get more air in, maybe consider a 3 rimsize?
  13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

If you need to shift more air for reasons of sound you could do a lot worse than look at the Loud range. I did because I needed a bit more sound for my efforts and I'm not looking back.
  14. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

15. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

DW 4AL Heritage mouthpiece

You could try
    They sell DW mouthpieces & mutes.
    DW 4AL Heritage £76 - 96p including vat.

Mark H.
  16. Music Cellar have 4AL Heritage in stock £78 - however, you would get a 10% discount

Phone 01772 251407 and ask for Euphonium John.

However, for what you are wanting - I would suggest an SM4 or SM3 ultra.............
  17. sherb

sherb New Member

Andy, On behalf of John Packers I can inform you that we do indeed have the DW 4AL Heritage mouthpiece in stock at our shop.The website is showing as 'low stock' which means that we may only have 1 left available. It is a 'standard' mouthpiece that we always try to keep in stock, however there may be a time when our stock mouthpiece has sold and we are awaiting a replacement from our supplier, but as I say in this instance we do have the mouthpiece in stock.