Denis Wick 7 cornet mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Cornet

Cornet New Member

I have a Denis Wick 7 (yes 7) cornet mouthpiece which I've had for years (don't remember where it came from) and was wondering if it might have been a special order?

The cup is about 15mm diameter. It's way too small for me to use, however it is interesting.

Does anyone know anything about these? I'm assuming it was either made for or aimed at someone who used one of the really small mouthpieces around in the early-mid 1900s, however I am willing to stand corrected!

I don't post here very often, but do read posts quite often, however it's interesting that I'm listed as a "New Member" despite joining in 2004!

2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Looks like they still do them - at least in the Ultra range - and theyre designed more as a crossover to a trumpet mouthpiece

Denis Wick Cornet 7C Ultra Mouthpiece Silver Plate

Cant imagine too much takeup in Brass Band usage, but there are several orchestral pieces that require cornets - I know Symphonie Fantastique has cornet parts for example - and a brighter sound would help cut through the strings

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Iirc there's some kind of link between the old "7" and the sop model, but can't put my finger on it.

The ultra's are a totally different kettle of fish to anything in the standard Wick cornet lines...
    The Ultra cup is more like the 2/3/4 C which you'll very occasionally see secondhand (I believe it was special order? I'm sure I have a standard line 3C cornet piece somewhere, as it happens...), it's a definite funnel shaped cup (not your typical trumpet C cup) with substantial volume (deeper than most Bach B-cups, for example). The rim on the Ultra models is much rounder and feels narrower - they're actually really good mouthpieces, just not very brass band friendly tone in most hands.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice