Demise of the Easinwold Marching contest.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by peterg, Jan 16, 2012.

1. peterg

peterg Member

At the latest meeting of the YHBBA, the association was informed by representatives of the Easingwold Lions who put on the days events that the Easinwold marching contest was to cease after 30 years.

The YHBBA had organised the contest on behalf of the Easingwold Lions who have generously funded the event since its inception. They had decided that after ever falling entries from bands, (down to 7 competing bands in 2011) that the contest was no longer viable.

They implied no critisizm whatsoever of the YHBBA, but rather the economics of attending the event for the bands and also the plethora of marching contests that have started up within the past few years which were possibly much cheaper for the bands to attend.

The 2012 Easingwold lions day will feature a free brass band concert on the square in place of the contest.
  2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

This is a shame, only attended this contest a couple of times, but it was always a fun evening.
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Hard drinking marathon as well as a band contest. (If you like a sociable tipple that is !)

- Mr Wilx
  4. agentorange

agentorange Member

A real shame, it was always a great event. Mr Wilx, I don't think I ever left Easingwold sober!
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

EMC was indeed a great event. I attended for a fair few years and that market square always had me leaving wobbly legged as well.

In terms of the economics of the event, the prize money has been comparitively poor for quite a few years to the point where winning doesn't come close to paying for the bus. I'm sure some of the local traders would have contributed to help improve the prizes to keep the bands coming. Does anyone know if the Lions looked to get more sponsorship from the varous pubs and takeaways etc to keep the event viable?
  6. peterg

peterg Member

Yes, the prize money is not the greatest but when do we ever win enough to pay expenses?

The marching contest is the final event of a full day of events put on by the Easingwold Lions. I can assure everyone that they have explored every avenue available to them for obtaining sponsorship/funding. Unfortunately not everyone is forthcoming with sponsorship even though their business will directly benefit from the contest.

I am informed by the Lions that only 2 of the public houses on the square sponsor the event. the others refuse though its probably their most lucrative days/night trading of the year. I am sure that the Lions wring as much cash as they can from the local traders but it is just not enough to enable the prize fund to be increased.

The YHBBA have had meetings with the Lions every year to try look at ways to attract more bands to the contest. to no avail. Unfortunately, bands don't help themselves either. Of the ten bands entered in 2011, two withdrew very late (something to do with a footy game) and one just didn't turn up! It transpired later that the said band had decided not to come and hadn't the courtesy to inform the organisers of their intentions. The Lions personel were not impressed when told this.