Demelza, Hugh Nash

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Does anyone know anything about this piece?!! history...etc, Am attempting to write programme notes but have just realised I know nothing about the music I am playing and Google is useless!! :)

*are you sensing a pattern yet?!!*

2. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Demelza - written by Hugh Nash who is actually Goff Richards was written for soprano player Brian Evans - but has been recorded by both William Rushworth and Sheona White on their CD's. Hope this helps

3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've met goff-he smiled at me :)

why does he use a different name?!!

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Is is something with Soprano solos? Are people embarressed to write solos for sop?? It's like Robert eaves Rhapsody for sop is actually Gregson (I think)

5. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Not exactly sure but think it might have been because he was contracted to write music for a different publisher than Demelza is printed with at the time.

6. SteveDunster

SteveDunster New Member

My understanding is that Goff Richards wondered whether his music was selling just because of his name, rather than the quality of his music - so he released Demelza under a different name - and the rest is history.

7. Kernow

Kernow Member

The piece was written about a character in the BBC programme Poldark.
    Demelza was a pretty young lady in the programme.
    Hopes this helps.

8. Di

Di Active Member

Anyone know what year it was written? I have the music, but it just states copyright Kirklees with no date on it. Ta.

9. persins

persins Member

I reckon that's about right, Steve!!