Demanded money back/complained?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by midnight_euph, Nov 28, 2006.

1. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

I wonder if any band/musician has been so disgusted with the standard of music transcription (i.e. the amount of errata on a piece) that they have either sent the music back to the publisher and/or demanded their money back?

We pay a small fortune for music... is it too much to ask that we don't have to sit correcting error upon error/inserting missing bars? What happened to 'proof-reading'?

If a literary publisher released books with as many mistakes as seem to happen on some music, they'd have to refund the purchaser AND/or provide a corrected copy. (Been there, done that as a literary publisher ... and in a 'previous life' I used to copy up music for LESPB and other bands, and Howard Snell's scores and parts for Desford, so I have some experience of the problems of the transcriber/copyist.)

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I can think of one instance only, when a previous conductor sent off for a test-piece from a major publisher. For our 40-odd quid we got a set of truely awful photocopies stamped "official photocopy - do not reproduce" (as if we could if we'd wanted to - the quality really was that bad!). I cannot stress enough how bad the quality was - it was like a 10th generation copy from an ancient photocopier - grainy, faint and not even printed sqquare on the page. Somewhat annoyed he asked what I thought, and I flippently said to send it back with an angry letter, asking for a refund. To our amazement this is what we got!

I've never heard of publishers issuing any refunds for errors to parts, although recently with Images the publishers were obliged to re-print the score due to the errors in it.

That said, we can't have it both ways - yes, the parts for major works can be expensive, but while we (generally as a movement) go around routinely photocoping other bands' sets of parts, I think its hardly likely that publishers are going to bust a gut to keep us happy.
  3. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Just to balance this. I recently ordered a piece of concert music. When it arrived, two pages in the score were blank. I contacted our supplier (Just Music), who contacted the publishers, who forwarded a new score directly to me, arriving within two days of my initial phone call to Just Music. No charge, no hassle, just super service. Not every one bites the hand etc.... and not all publishers give a shoddy service.
  4. andreab

andreab Member

That's a bit different though, in your case the publishers would have to replace it if there were chunks missing. It's more difficult when there are bits here and there that aren't quite right. At what point do we say this product isn't fit for purpose?

I recently had a conversation with a publisher after a new set of supposedly corrected parts had been sent out, which still had a number of errors. I was told, 'don't worry love, the score's right'. :confused:
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

AFAIK there are some of the smaller publishers out there that do replace things that do contain errors free of charge. Even with scrupulous error checks sometime things can creep in - I'm led to believe that quite a few errors are translated following the generation of parts from score in Sibelius, for example, then going back and changing something and not correcting the other bit :sup

Jagrins is one Company that I know are extremely careful with this sort of thing, and I know that Broadnib Music send things out on CDs so you can print out (authorised) copies for your own Band (no more lost parts!- and Im pretty sure they replace the CD should there be any errors that have crept in.

(I should say for the sake of openness that I have associations with the Proprietors of both of these Companies (although not in a music publishing capacity) - and part of the reason is their apparent attention to detail).

I'm wholly in agreement that some of the recent tespieces that have errata lists as long as the phone book should never have passed QA / QC and am in full agreement that they are almost at the point of being "Not fit for purpose" - which is one of the statutory returns criteria.