DEG Signature Cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Redhorn, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I have in my possession a Getzen Cornet, which id previously assumed to be a Getzen (Im not a cornet player, but was given it years ago- and its just sat upstairs untouched)
    On closer investigation I find its not an Eterna, as id assumed, but is labelled Donald E. Getzen SIGNATURE

Can anyone tell me anything about these particular models. Where do they figure in the 'rankings' of Getzen models. Ive looked up their website, but cant get anymore info other than Capri is the Student model, and Eterna is the grown up make. No mention of DEG Signature model.

Also wondered what sort of price these things would sell for, IF i wanted to sell it. Its probably about 20 years old, and is a silver plate model.

Any info greatly received! :clap:
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

More or less, yeah! But it doesnt have the triggers!
  4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I have got one with the ring pull type triggers and normal water keys. I got it off ebay last year for £122! It plays well and its a slightly smaller bore than the large bore sovereigns.
    As I dont do alot of cornet playing I sold my sov and kept the signature
  5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Sounds like you got a real bargain there! Most of the ones i've researched on ebay (USA in particular) seem to be going for a minimum of $600 (Whats that, about £400?)
    My one has normal water keys too (im told that is good, as it means its 'customised'), but no triggers. Am waiting to hear from Getzen as to how old it is. The serial number bears no correlation to those offered on an American dating chart I came across on the web.
    Seems the Signature range was Getzens top of the range cornet of the time, with advanced features to those of the Capri and Eterna.
  6. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

My band (chorley silver) has one of these. I looked into its' origins, because it's very easy to play, especially lip slurs. They stopped making them in 1992 and they were about $1500 then. Good cornets, if a little trumpet-like in tone
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

DEG and Getzen are not the same company. They were once, but they haven't been for some time now (I think it was a family feud type problem, but don't quote me - I can't find the thread (elsewhere) that I was looking for).

How does it play?

(that is surely the issue, rather than what anybody else thinks about how it might rank)
  8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Not being a cornet player Im not the best person to answer that. It does seem to have quite a warm tone in the lower and middle registers, but does get quite 'trumpety' if overblown.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I am looking to sell this now as I have a newer model but it comes with Vincent Bach gig bag and mouthpiece and lyre and it has been overhauled, does £180 sound too much