Decision needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by crossroads, Nov 24, 2005.

1. crossroads

crossroads New Member

Hi all.

At the momment I am registered to a band who are progressing and with whom I enjoy playing, but I am also helping another band who were on the verge of folding. I have been teaching a number of players free of charge in order to help build the band up again.

Here lies the problem. The leader of the second band does not want release any control of the band, to the point that it is having a detrimental effect: none of the B band really want to join the main band as the music is too hard (and to be honest the rest of the band cannot play it either!) There is no incentive for them to join. To be honest, I cannot see any way that things are going to improve in the long term orthe short. The players that are now in the B band are steadily improving, but if both I and the other helper leave, then all of the kids will leave and all of the work over tha last few years (and there has been a lot) will have been for nothing.

I have considered trying to start another band for them, but there are the obvious problems of instruments, accomodation and the funding for this to start.

It is getting to the point that I have to register with the band in order to play at the regionals next year but I am now reconsidering and think I should stay put for the momment. I just do not have the time to dedicate properly to teaching and playing.

I know that this is a bit of a ramble, but I am really annoyed about some things that have happened over the last week and am at the end of my tether.

Any advice is greatly received.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sometimes players or bands have to take a few steps backwards in order to progress further forward in the long-term. You have a difficult situation if your position with band B is only on a obligitary basis. You need to get the people who are blocking the change together with a neutral third party to discuss the reality of the situation. If they do not see their position threatening the band's future and that of the kid's enjoyment (and possible careers in music etc.), then your hard work may for nothing. The senior band's leader should be doing his utmost to secure the band's survival by taking an active part to help the beginners settle in and take pride in his/her actions. I wish you all the best for this thankless task!
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma. Is this two distinct bands, or an "A" Band/"B" Band situation? Are your kids a junior band?

If this is two distinct and separate bands you need to decide where you want to go. Make a decision and then stick with it, no matter how hard it is at the time.

If it is "A" Band v "B" band, and the "A" band is not interested in progressing the youngsters then you need to point out how short-sighted this is, discus with the committee what your feelings are and then either leave or stay depending on how much support you get.

Any band that is not interested in providing for its own future deserves everything it gets.
  4. crossroads

crossroads New Member

Sorry that I was on a bit of a ramble yesterday.

I will try to clarify things a little better. Although there are two distinct bands involved, my problem is only really with what I would call band 2. This band has a main and a junior band which I called the B band at one point in reference to it's status alongside the main band. To add a bit more detail, there is a comittee which "run" the band, but they are not an elected committee. There has been no agm since I have been involved in the band over 6 years ago. I feel that the band is reall eing run as a dictatorship rather than for the community which the band was started for.

My reference to the band that I am signed for at the momment was only to show the dilema that I have in that if I sign for the band that I am teaching with, I would no longer be able to play for the other band if the whole thing blows appart before the regionals. This obviously is purely up to me, but it does provide a timescale for things to happen to.

Hope that this clarifies things a little. May not have as I am at home at the momment with "man Flu" (heavy cold) and feel rubbish.:frown:
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

How do bands get away with this - you're not the only one, I'm sure, but regardless of how the band is run it should still have a formal approval of it's management team and more importantly the "accounts". With out these it will be impossible to apply for let alone receive any kind of grant funds etc. Next obvious question is if they don't do an AGM - do they have insurance? do they have Child Protection Policy (training band mentioned).
  6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Oh! how I sympathise.

We had this sort of problem with a well established local band that wanted only their family members to run it. So we set up our own band - definitely not in competition, and our own "constitution" said that we would not attempt to "poach" players or events from the exisiting band.

After a lot of hard work and a lot of goodwill we now have an almost full band playing our style and difficulty of music, with only those engagements that we really can fullfill. The players come from a variety of sources including many others who also did not like the old regime and had left as a result, and were almost lost to brass banding as well; what a waste of talent.

Abandon the obstinates and do it yourself is my advice. PM me for more advice if you need help setting things up.

7. crossroads

crossroads New Member

There is a treasurer who has hold of the cheque book, and I guess that the accounts are in some sort of order as the band received a grant a few years ago.

I have no Idea about insurance. Although there is not a child protection policy, both of us ave been through our disclosure, though that was done independently and not on behalf of the band as it was not considered as important. There is also a full Health and safety policy and risk assessments which takes account of the children which I wrote myself last year as I do have experience in that.
  8. persins

persins Member

I would say that first and formost, you have got to do what you want with your own playing. If you aren't getting enjoyment or success in what you are doing as a player, then there is something definitely wrong.
    Although teaching is very rewarding, I find that I have always had to follow what was best for me as a player.
    With regards to your registration therefore, I would suggest that you keep it with the band that you are likely to WANT to contest with. There is nothing to stop you continuing to play with the other bands.
    It sounds like the time will come whereby you will want to dedicate more time towards the teaching and encouraging of players but there is no reason why you should have to sacrifice your registration with a different band in order to satisfy this.
    With regards to the obvious power games being played, it happens in most bands to a greater or lesser degree. I would attempt to bring the issues out in to the open and let the rest of the band decide how they wish to continue. If this chosen direction doesn't match with your path, then so be it, but at least it might bring about some consensus within those that remain.
  9. crossroads

crossroads New Member

I agree with almost all that you said. The only problem is that if I do not sign for the band, they will not be able to play at the regionals as there is no other person in the band who can play my instrument to the same standard (well enough to contest). Sorry if that is a bit cryptic! There is also the issue of the amount of time that I spend on banding in a week as I also have a young family. Life is never easy, is it!
  10. persins

persins Member

From what you say, it sounds like they have got more issues on the table than just the regionals this year.
    Perhaps you not playing for them will in fact push the "Committee" into recognising the problems in place.
    You might actually be having a negative impact on this by papering over the cracks and making it appear that things will still just carry along as they have previously.
    By pulling out of the regionals, it may give the band more time to consolidate and move forward without the pressure of the contest entry date in place.
    I know where my priorities would lie in this instance but it is not for me to say where yours should be!