Decent Euph-Duets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sir_Threepwood, Nov 15, 2006.

1. We're looking for a decent duet piece for our two euphonium players. It shouldn't be a cheesy piece and no pop-, film- or swing-arrangements or other easy-listening pieces are allowed.

It should be a work that fits into the first part of a concert and should be written in a more classical / original way (it can, however, be an arrangement as well as an original work). It may also well be a slightly higher-graded piece.

We went through most of the "Childs-Brothers"-CDs but couldn't find a piece that suits the purpose. Any hints out there?
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I quite like Peter Graham's Brilliante - although you'll have passed it by if you've gone through Bon & Nick's CDs....needs good players, though.
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Have you tried 'Deep inside the Sacred Temple' from Bizet's Pearl Fishers? (arr. Kieth Wilkinson)
  4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Wot about Two-part Invention by.. errrm.............
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Bach? ;)
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I once had a letter (presumably dictated soon after lunch!) addressed to me as Felix Bach. Have often thought of using it as a pseudonym!
  7. KMJ Recordings

Someone needs to nuy me a new keynoard!
  8. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Euphonism By Philip Sparke...
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

How about "Timepiece" by Norman Bearcroft? Uses the theme of Grandfather's Clock.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

How about a blast from the past with Frank Bryce's "Rondoletto" ?
  11. KMJ Recordings

Ooh, I'd forgotten all about that! Played it with Graham McEvoy and Besses in Stroud in about 1988...not sure if it almost fits into the 'cheesy' definition though...but it's good fun.
  12. should have said "...through some of the..." ;) We'll check that one out... our guys are certainly able to play this. However, I'm not sure whether they like such variation pieces... it's based on the carnival theme, isn't it?

That's a really nice one, but has been played much too many times by the worst bands out there.

Didn't know that one (please accept my humble apologies], but will have a look at it.
  13. KMJ Recordings

No - the fast bit's Rule Britannia.
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member

We have a really nice piece called 'Softly as I leave you', not sure of composer/arranger but it does go down well, & the 1st euph get to finish on a mega top c or something!

Ran it through at band last week cos im looking for a duet suitable for baritones, but for this you really need power & a rich sound
  15. Veri

Veri Member

What about Calon Lan? I don't know if variations on a hymn tune falls into the cheesy category, but the no.1 part is quite twiddly from what I remember.
  16. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

What about Euphology on the new cd from Obrasso 'Music was my first Love' performed by Bob and David Childs, visit for more information.
  17. Scongie

Scongie Member

I agree with Mr Barry that Music for my first love sounds good, not had a chance to play it yet though.

We've been looking at flying home recently which is on the recent childs CD, I like the slower movement but not the fast bit.

Softly as I leave you has been mentioned, it's an old favourite and falls into the pop category I suppose but it's still a nice piece to play IMO and you get to finish on a super F, covered by the solo horn playing a top C just in case!!

But Calon Lan is my favourite, OK it's Welsh so might not get the same effect if not played in wales but the second half of the piece is quite technical and sounds great and again finishes on notes above top C for both euphs.
  18. i think that calon lan is a really good duet and the top gets some nice notes (super f's i think).
    timepiece is also quite good but i dont know whether it might fall into the cheesy category?
  19. yooflou

yooflou Member

Calon Lan

This is a beautiful piece.
    I have played it as Baritone & Euph duet accompanied by piano. It can work really well that way....
  20. Seth

Seth New Member

Please, No.........this does get done to death, and I can't stand it!