Death of Elma Ramplin, Long Eaton Silver Prize Stalwart

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by satchmo shaz, Apr 18, 2006.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

It is with deep regret that Long Eaton Silver Prize Band annouce the death of their multi talented tenor and flugel horn and cornet player Elma Ramplin (nee Nixon)

Elma had been diagnosed with cancer in September 2004 and had undergone chemotherapy and radiotherapy for much of the following time. However she continued to play for the band whenever she could and managed to play for the bands new CD recorded last December and typically she last played at the local church on Christmas Eve.

She became more ill recently and died peacefully at home on 14th April 2006, with her family with her.

Her husband Carl (euphonium), and children Melissa (cornet) aged 14, Emma (baritone) aged 13 and George (percussion) aged 10 all play in the Long Eaton band with her sister in law Sharon Stansfield (conductor) and other members of the family, Robert Stansfield and James and Matthew Dennis

Elma has previously played in a number of bands including Kirkby Colliery Welfare, Ibstock, Bestwood Black Diamonds, City of Leicester, Loughborough, and previously Dodworth, Rossington, Hatfield, and Harworth and Dalmellington

Elma was also a singer/trumpet player with the Anything Blows Dance Band.

She will be sadly missed and our sympathies go to Carl and all the family

Her funeral will be held on Thursday 27th April 2006 at All Saints Church, Tamworth Road Sawley, Long Eaton at 10.15AM

Flowers or donations to Cancer Research UK

Carl Ramplin
    Tel - 0115 9391532
    Mob - 07980 566337

2. ratley

ratley Member

God bless....
  3. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

R.I.P. Elma
    I remember her well from my Loughborough of the best.
  4. SammyT

SammyT Member

I am just so glad I knew her, she was a fantastic godmum as well :D
    All my love to the family xxx
  5. joolsthomps

joolsthomps New Member

sadly missed, Love to all the family x
  6. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

I remember the wonderful Ramplin family very well from Carl's time with Carlton Main.

We're thinking of you all.

Phil S
    Bass trom
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band
  7. Lotta

Lotta Member

Deepest condolences to the family and all at Long Eaton

Phoenix WM Brass
  8. rutty

rutty Active Member

We were all sad at Carlton Brass to hear this news. :(

Best wishes to Elma's family and all at Long Eaton. She'll be sadly missed for certain
  9. SteveT

SteveT Member

Resurgam! (I shall rise again!)
  10. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

I attended the funeral today and it was possibly one of the nicest services I've ever been to. A great send off for a superb woman. It was great to see a lot of old faces I haven't seen for a while there paying their respect for Elma. It's a pity it wasn't under better circumstances.
  11. euphemism

euphemism Member

Blake - thank you for those kind words - we had hoped the service would be a memorable one - and I think we did it..

I'm sure Elma would have been proud - especially of the children. And also appreciateive of the musicianship, and generous tributes made.

Thank you to everyone who sent messages and also those who attended.

'Resurgam' ......

12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Have to second Blakes comments on the funeral, was very moving and a suitable tribute to a terrific lady who'll be sadly missed.
    Can't express how moving the music was, especially as Elma had chosen it herself... a truly fitting service for a remarkable lady.
    Best wishes,