Death of Brian Lingley

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by iancwilx, Dec 9, 2007.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I was devastated to read on 4br of the passing of Brian Lingley.
    I knew him well in the 1970's when he came to Imps on 4th man straight from his army service.
    He was a such a nice man and a "mean" cornet player.
    It was a pleasure to have known him.
    Whilst at Imps he once volunteered to help out on 3rd Cornet at the "Area" as the part was extremely demanding.
    He played a "Blinder" and was a major contributor to our victory on the day.
    Apparently he dedicated many years to the NYBBGB as a course tutor, and I believe he was a Vice President of the band.
    Another good man gone who I'm sure will be sadly missed.
    - Wilkie
    (Ian Wilkinson)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brian Lingley
    Imps
    nice man
    good man
    major contributor
  3. JR

JR Member

brian Lingley

Very sorry to hear about this. I knew Brian when he was the (very successful) conductor of the Rotherham Schools band in the 80s - the most well known member was Michelle Ibbotson
    I know he also helped my brother Dave alot in the NYBB and at Imps many years ago
    He was extremely well respected

John R

4. Michelle Ibbotson

Michelle Ibbotson New Member

Mr Brian Lingley was a true gentleman and an inspiration to many young brass players from Rotherham Youth Brass Band & the NYBB.

I am one of the lucky brass players that was fortunate enough to work with Mr Lingley, he was my brass teacher & I was also a member of the Rotherham Schools band and the NYBB whilst he was involved. He was a remarkable teacher, conductor & band trainer who inspired so many young people, including me.

He always supported & believed in my playing & was a real driving force in my playing career which led me to 5 years as Sop at Black Dyke and now my current position as sop at the Cory band. I owe Mr Lingley so much & I will never forget him.

He will be missed by so many.

5. Frosty

Frosty Member

Mr Brian Lingley was the conductor of the Rotherham Schools Youth Brass Band while I was in the band. He was a great teacher who produced many top players.
    He persuaded me to move from Tenor to Bass Trombone and also to audition for the NYBB.
    I owe a lot of what I do now to the time Brian gave for something he was really passionate about.

My thoughts are with his family and many friends at this sad time.

Mark Frost

6. Jim G

Jim G Guest

Devastated

I am a former member of the Rotherham Schools Youth Brass Band and I am devastated at the news of Brian's passing. He was a wonderful man who gave real purpose and passion to dozens of young people including me.
    I have so many happy memories from that time of my life and have an enourmous amount to be grateful to Brian for.
    My thoughts are with his friends and family

7. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Brian was a tutor on NYBB when I was a member, although not a Bass tutor he was very willing to help with any problems I may have had with parts.

A great chap,

God Bless Brian

Simon Gresswell

8. Thankyou very much for all of your kind thoughts, it was a great shock and we will all miss him so much.

If you would like to attend the funeral it is on Tuesday 18th December at 1.00pm at Rawdon Crematorium near Leeds (directions can be found online). There will be refreshments following the service.

Thankyou again.

Daniel (Grandson)

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I can think of no other teacher that inspired and encouraged me more than Mr Lingley. I hold dear so many memories from Rotherham Schools Youth Brass Band and I will always remember the fun had whilst carolling around Penistone at Christmas time.

I feel lucky to have experienced 10 years of his guidance both as a conductor and teacher. His support allowed me, and so many others, to achieve great careers in music.

Always a true gentleman and never without a smile on his face, what a great man.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Helen Tyler

10. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

I can only echo the sentiments of all the posts above. Mr Lingley was my first teacher and fought my corner tooth and nail to get me into a school with brass tuition and then went all out to find a Tuba for me.

He was a true gent and gave the best start to many top class brass players. He will be sadly missed.

Dave Barringer

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Brian Lingley

I would just like to say a big thank you for all the support, cards and wonderful letters my Step Mum and I have had over the past few months sinces my Dads death.
    My Dad was a wonderful man who went left us far too soon. He gave so much to so many and he is so missed by his family and friends. It is so hard to come to terms with my Dad not being with us any more but I am just so very proud of my Dad.He loved his Brass Band background and his time with the Rotherham Schools Brass band.
    If you were in the band please get in touch as My Dad made a CD for the members of the band. He couldn't track everyone down to send a copy.

Many thanks

Jo Woodward ( Lingley)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brian Lingley
    Imps
    nice man
    good man
    major contributor
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Brian

I have never ever forgotten the wonderful years at RSYBB band in the command of Brian. He helped us to be our best he had suo much faith in us and beleived we could do it. I had the pleasure of playing at a time when we were really honoured to have fantastic players like Mark Frost and Michelle ibbotson along with many others. A true star. I have recently come back to brass and had the confidence to self teach valved from slide and now able to teach other young people brass in the local area which is fantastic. I have recently joined Thurlstone brass band and hope Brian and his family wherever he /they are can be proud in the knowledge that his inspirational teaching has lead me to this point in my life where I can do the same. And give something back. Thanks Brian. A copy of the cd wold be amazing I used to have a tape we recorded in Rotherham but I can't find it anywhere. I am trying to remember what we had on the tape and slowly build this up to repeat some of this with the band I currently play with when we go back to Rotherham to play at Whistone in the summer of 2013. My email is n.bailey@barnsley.org

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, Sorry to read about Brian Lingley. If it is the person who I knew then he was in the ROYAL SIGNALS Band circa 1960-62. and connected to the Salvation army in Leeds. Like many friends during National Service I lost any contact with them. I send my condolences and if I have the wrong person then I
    am sorry to have troubled you

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Cooper.

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Unfortunately you do have the right person. Brian was in the Signals Band and the SA. I knew him at Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band in the late 1960s/early 1970s where he was a much valued cornetist. A smashing guy sadly missed.

~ Mr Wilx (Ian Wilkinson)

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for your reply.

Hello, Just to say that I knew Brian during my national service in the Royal Signals Band, he was a very friendly chap and helpful and an excellent cornet player.
    As I said before after my national service I lost contact with all of the musicians, but I remember Brian very well, he was one of the best.

Best wishes to you.

Nicholas Cooper

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi

Hi
    My Dad was Brian Lingley and I have just seen your posting.I will see if we have some of the CD's left.If not I can let you have the play list. Happy to hear about your teaching brass banding to others.... My Dad would have been proud. Jo (Lingley)