Death of a true Gem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Aug 3, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I am sad to report the demise of the black midget gem. :(

I bought a packet from Tesco's last night and discovered that Maynards (the maker of proper midget gems) have only gone and replaced the black one with some bland blackcurrant flavour imitation. :eek:

Why oh why can't people leave things as they are. :mad: I know there are more important things in the world to worry about - but its the little things like black midget gems that make life worth living.

If they had to get rid of a sweet why couldn't it have been the coffee flavour ones that always take you by surprise in a bag of Revels. :redface:
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

3. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: Edited because I was talking rubbish and hadn't read the article. I'm now FUMING. How dare they??????

Hopefully they won't take the liquorice flavoured black ones from sports mixtures?????:frown: :frown:

OOOOOOH I'M REALLY MAD. :mad: :mad:
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  4. Splitone

Splitone Member

It's the same in their Sports Mixtures too.

The answer, is to bin all the fake black ones, and replace them with LION Licquorice Tablets. (Lion were the original makers of Midget Gems + Sports Mixtures).
  5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Will liquorice tablets still exist then????:biggrin:
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Now, although I am a midget gem fan, I've never been particularly passionate about the black ones, I love the grapefruity ones myself...

As for Revels, I both agree and disagree with you with regards the coffee ones! They are disgusting, but if they weren't there then firstly the can you guess the revel game would be much easier, but also a bag of Revels would become so much less riskier and I pride myself on the little risks I take in life! (For the record the caramel/toffee ones are the best!)
  7. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Right, I thought I must contribut to this debate!
    Personally, I am glad that they've got rid of the licquorice black ones, they had a worse heave effect than the coffee Revel for me!
    Bring on the Blackcurrant midget gems!
  8. I've signed the petition.
    I had some sports mix and was disgusted at having blackcurrant ones!
  9. Heather

Heather Member

You should buy Lions Midget Gems. They're the original and the best..............and they still have liquorice ones in them!!!
  10. Key2207

Key2207 Member

Can't say i'll miss the black midget gems. Not really a fan of liquorice. I do like the grapefruit type ones though mmmmm :p
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Its the Lion brand ones that we're talking about. Lion Brand midget gems are made by Maynards who also make wine gums, fruit salad and sports mixture. You must have been eating old stock.
  12. Heather

Heather Member

Lions and Maynards are two seperate makes here. My husband will verify that!!
  13. 1st Position

1st Position Member

I thought that Maynards had bought the Sports Mixture/Midget Gems brands from Lion?

Lion still produce the licquorice tablets - at least shops around the East Riding are still selling them.
  14. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Well said! :clap: My sentiments entirely!
  15. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I thought that until I read the article in the link!!!! Which is why I edited my post and am now outraged!!!! Nay!!! Incensed!!!!:mad:
  16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

[Slightly off-topic] I think it's the Maynards factory that's by the canal somewhere near High Peak (Bagpuss can confirm or deny this). Floating past the factory on a warm autumn day with the smell of burning sugar wafting through the air. Mmmm. Sheer bliss...[/Slightly off-topic]
    Liquorish seems to be out of favour all round. I notice Bassetts are now doing Fruity Allsorts as well.
    Bring out new sweets by all means but leave the estabished ones alone, I say.
  17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Am I the only person that likes the coffee revels? they are yummy!
  18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Can't say I actively like them, but they're better than the sickly orange ones. Yuk. Glad they've taken the peanut ones out though. Peanuts sould only be honey roasted not covered in chocolate.