Death of a Bflat Bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chris Lee, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Recently seen 'sculpture'. I personally don't much like this sort of thing. What think you?

Sculpture.jpg

Chris Lee
    (Newbieish, EEflat Besson Sovereign)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sort
    thing
    Death
    Bflat Bass
    sculpture
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I actually think that's pretty cool.
    I've also seen old tubas used as planters and trombones/cornets/trumpets turned into lamps, and I liked them too (sorry!)

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looks to be a fine use of an instrument that I cannot imagine anyone would wish to play seriously. Anyone care to say how old it might be? 100 years?

5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Is that at the Eden Project? The 'sculptures' there are really cool. Better off being used artistically than in a skip, I suppose!

6. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Yes Katie, it is indeed the Eden Project. How did you know that? And do you have any background information at all?

Very Best, Chris

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not to mention euphoniums used as urinals :D - are local banders pub has a couple of trombones stuffed in the fireplace and some fibre-glass bodied timps used as planters

8. Accidental

...and the decor in De Trompet in Ypres :)

9. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

So where do old instruments go to die? I'm minded of 'Bob Sherunkles' humorous tMP post about the demise of the Ophecleide:

'Thus spurned, it soon became defunct.
    To gross neglect succumbing.
    Some were pawned, but most were junked,
    Or used for indoor plumbing.'

I supose being a sculpture is at least a better fate than that...

Very Best, Chris

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  10. Accidental

how about this one?
    Duet.jpg

11. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Hard to beat that, Alex. Horrible aren't they?
    What's the story behind them?

Very Best, Chris

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sort
    thing
    Death
    Bflat Bass
    sculpture
  13. Accidental

No idea about a story, I just stumbled across the picture a few months ago and thought they were great.

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Oh, come on it's not like it is a real tuba, now is it? The valves are in the wrong place... *Coat!*

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nice surprise to find a picture of this scupture in Ashton-Under-Lyne ... see here

16. Blossom

Blossom Member

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

18. pbirch

pbirch Member

19. Paulst7

Paulst7 New Member

I was about to post the same scene - I guess thats why there aren't a great deal of bands in West London anymore!! (Fulham Brass and Yiewsley & West Drayton escaped the steam roller obviously). In all seriousness, I dont think there is much wrong with making art with brass. The instruments are undoubtably past playing standard without a tetnus jab and compensating for high pitch. I like it.

20. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Hmm. Not sure about all this. I suppose it all helps to broaden public interest in the tools of our trade, but I still feel it's a bit brutal. There must be better ways of utilising old instruments. Are they really no good for beginners, training bands, trainee repairers and so on? What we need is a Brass Instrument Preservation Society (BIPS) to provide care homes for old instruments....

Very Best, Chris

21. pbirch

pbirch Member

modern learners (and their parents) require better looking instruments these days, maybe even brand new ones. I certainly learned on some very old instruments that would not be acceptable these days. That is not to say that some older instruments are of very good quality, but that is how it is these days. One comment I would make is that there is an awful lot of silver on those old instruments that might have been salvaged to great economic effect.

22. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Very true I guess, but there are people around who are interested in having/playing old instruments. I wasn't altogether joking about care homes. Specifically, I feel that before we donate instruments to Cornelian and the like for mutilation, we should at least offer them free of charge on tMP, in case anybody out there would be prepared to make more beneficial use of them than simply squashing them flat for art.

Very Best, Chris