Dean Goffin - a new recording of his music coming soon

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Goffin for Adoo, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Goffin for Adoo

Goffin for Adoo New Member

In mid-February 2011, the Reg Vardy Band (www.regvardyband.co.uk) will be recording a CD of the music of Dean Goffin. All the proceeds from the recording will be going to the Clarence Adoo Trust (www.clarence.org.uk).

The track list is all but completed, and it can be confirmed that the 2008 revision of My Strength, My Tower (by Brian Bowen for the 2nd Section Finals) will be given what is thought to be its first studio recording, and Richard Martin (renowned former SA cornetist and now Principal Trumpet of the Northern Sinfonia) will perform Victorious.

KMJ Recordings (www.kmjrecordings.com) will be undertaking the recording duties. This is the first time it has recorded for the trust and its first project with the current North of England Champion band.

Goffin has never had a CD devoted to his music and this was seen as a great opportunity to celebrate some his best-known works, while featuring some his lesser-known, but equally superb material.

This thread is intended to give people a chance to talk about the music and life of a great musician.

Do you have a favourite Goffin work?
    Have you played under him or met him?
    Is there a piece of his that you would love to hear recorded again?
    Any memorable performances of his music that come to mind?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dean Goffin
    Crusader - The Music
    Facebook
    Music of Dean Goffin
    support
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

I plan to use The Light Of The World next summer, spine tingling arrangement.

4. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

I had the pleasure and honour to play under Dean GOFFIN in Wellington New Zealand, both at Wellington South Band, Wellington Citadel Band and Dunedin Fortress. He was an amazing man, and VERY strict during practise, as was the custom in that generation.

The pieces i loved were

The road to Emmeaus (spelling??)
    My Strength My Tower
    Light of the world
    Symphony of Thanksgiving .........

so many to name!!

Cannot wait for the CD

5. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Dean Goffin visited our Salvation Army Corps at Dudley (West Midlands) in, or around 1958. I was a young man at the time, and did not have the honour of actually speaking to him.

My favourite composition has to be "The Compassionate Christ". Boscombe SA Band feature this on their CD.

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

This will go straight to the top of my "must-have" list when it comes out !!

"Light of the World" is obviously ( and rightly ) very popular , but it would be good to hear a recording of "Wonderful Healer " , its lesser-known companion piece - the ISB recorded it years ago and either Fuoco Brass or the Household Troops ( will need to check my collection later) more recently.

I'd like to see "The Road to Emmaus" , "The Shadow of the Cross " and "The Challenge of the Cross" in there as well.

Stick in a couple of marches as well - "Crusaders" , "Anthem of the Free" and we are definitely talking.

Whatever you've got on there , It will be a hit I'm sure.

From what I've read / heard about him , Goffin appears to have been a quite complex character. His output compositionally was quite small compared to some SA composers which is perhaps why there is so much quality there.

The CO's at Colchester a few years back were kiwis and they spoke very highly of him from personal experience.

7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

That's also on the Boscombe Band's CD.

8. Goffin for Adoo

He wasn't prolific, but as you rightly suggest, that has its benefits. It was very difficult to decide what to leave out from musical, commercial and representative points of view but I am sure from what you have said here, you will be pleased with the track list ;)

9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It was Fuoco Brass on its first CD. I played on that, and we also recorded "To God Be The glory" , a lesser known Goffin piece on our second studio CD.

I love Crusaders - a very complex and thought through Festival March. Symphony of Thanksgiving is a favourite of mine as well.

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Not Lesser known in SA circles I think. Lost count of the number if times Ive played it

11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

An amazing and very special man indeed. I had the privilege of meeting him several times while at Penge Corps in south east London. In one rehearsal, we were preparing a cornet duet (Happy Harmony??) and I was third man down. He explained that he had intended to write in a cue for a sop part and asked if I would mind if he wrote it on my copy and would I play it as it was important? He did; I played it and, after the concert he thanked me!!! Another time I was walking along Queen Victoria Street from Blackfriars Station to my office on Queen Street; Major Goffin was heading for the SA Headquarters building and was on the other side of the road; he saw me; called to me and ran across the road (4 busy lanes) to say hellow and ask how I was! Such was the measure of this marvelous man of God. I was probably 17 at the time; I'm now 65 and that memory had remained with me all these years along with many others.

I believe there have been two previous recordings of his music; one by Camberwell Citadel Band and one by Wellington South Band.

Victorious is a terrific solo and I'm glad to hear that Richard will be participating in this project and reprising his earlier performance with Enfield. Tylney Hall is another cracker of a march and has not been used as frequently as Crusaders (which I also agree is a great march too). He also arranged Movements from the Italian Symphony by Mendelssohn and Moments with the Master. It would be great to hear the Italian.

I also have a copy of his biography at home.

Best wishes for this project.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dean Goffin
    Crusader - The Music
    Facebook
    Music of Dean Goffin
    support
  13. italian symphony arrangement is very special and would suit many contesting bands. last movement is fun when played at a proper good speed. rest is special too.

enjoy making the cd.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I shall also look forward to this one. I think it's a shame that he had so little time for composing later on in his career - several of the works published later on were actually reworkings of earlier pieces, some written for orchestra, rather than band.

Some excellent suggestions already in this thread - and I too will be keen to hear Richard play "Victorious". In addition I would add "Arise my soul, arise".

15. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Tylney Hall............ cracker of a march
    Wonderful Healer ...........so emotive
    Light of the World.......Out of THIS world. Sections so beautifuly crafted and set together a perfect meditation

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  16. Goffin for Adoo

I am glad Tylney Hall is getting mentioned....its a great march. Is actually Triumph Series scoring (reduced number of parts) if you did not know.

Crusaders will be on the CD, given that the title track is Crusader :)

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Although not one of his better known pieces, I like 'Lift up your Heart'. Its a variations on the tune 'Gopsal' (Rejoice the Lord King) and Goffin manages to say in 7-8 minutes what other composers take 14+!

Neapolis is a lovely meditative piece, based on a theme by Haydn.

No one has mentioned another superb march.....Alderney.

18. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

I must admit, I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to SA music... the only Goffin piece I've actually heard is 'Rhapsody in Brass'! :redface:

But judging by the comments on this thread, I might have to get a copy of this CD and give it a listen!

19. Goffin for Adoo

Thanks Coverhead.

Whether it's music written for The SA or not, it's great music. Full of melodies, uplifting, emotional, subtle....it's got the lot!

Aiming for late April/May release - keep a look out!

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've played Rhapsody in Brass before, at Butlins 2003, I thoroughly enjoyed the piece and I am looking forward to working on it again for this recording. I also think My Strength, My Tower is a fab piece, I'm really looking forward to this recording!

21. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Thats a Shame - Because putting the Faith aspect of it to one side, some of it is truly great to play and listen too; and theres such a large amount of it too.

It also spans all levels of Difficulty too in my opinion.

22. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

I met Dean Goffin in Africa when I was a boy of about 10. He was grandfather to a friend of mine whose parents were missionaries working for the Salvation Army.

A really down to earth, gentle man.