DCBBA ("Durham League") Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by bigcol, May 6, 2010.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

Just been passed a piece of information which affects all the members and bands of the DCBBA (Durham Brass Band Association).

The DCBBA Grading contest due to unforseen circumstances will now be held on 5th December 2010.

www.dcbba.org.uk

Colin.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DCBBA
    The DCBBA Grading
    Durham League
    Durham Brass Band Association
    DCBBA Grading contest
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

First I've heard of it. Nice of them to let the member bands know. Our band has already got a job booked on that date

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Will the test piece be "A Christmas Festival"?

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

That sounds a great idea, lets reschedule a contest when bands are busy with christmas concerts and caroling!

7. bigcol

bigcol Member

The choices for test pieces have been posted on the website at http://www.dcbba.org.uk/?page=7

Bands need to reply and vote by the Association meeting in July.

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Some very difficult choices for Section A this year

9. T Winch

T Winch Member

Section B piece Purcell Variations by Peter Meechan. Should that be Purcell Variants? Or should it be Purcell Variations by Kenneth Downie? Kantara Music is Kenneth Downie's publishing company in which case I think the latter may be true.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Peter Meechan wrote Purcell Variants mate. Purcell Variations was written by Kenneth Downie, it's a fantastic piece

11. T Winch

T Winch Member

Yeah I know. It says on the website Purcell Variations by Peter Meechan

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DCBBA
    The DCBBA Grading
    Durham League
    Durham Brass Band Association
    DCBBA Grading contest
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

I'll find out and get back to you.

14. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Well spotted. I don't know Purcell Variants at all.

15. T Winch

T Winch Member

It was 1st section testpiece at Butlins in 2006. All I can remember is it was very strange (and not in a good way)

16. bigcol

bigcol Member

Can confirm it is Downie's piece (which yes is fantastic). Updated the DCBBA site.

17. bigcol

bigcol Member

The following test pieces have been selected, after voting earlier this month, for the 2010 Grading Contest:

Section A: Les Franc Juges - Berlioz arr F. Wright (Studio Music)

Section B: Purcell Variations - K.Downie (Kantara)

Section C: Diamond Heritage - D. Barry (Kirklees Music)

Section D: Call of the Sea - Eric Ball (Studio Music)

18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Looking foward to Judges. Might go and listen to one or two Purcell Variations as well.

19. Has to be said I'm pretty disappointed with the result for section D; there were a couple of cracking pieces of music on the list that I'd have loved to have a go at. After an excellent piece last year this seems a bit of a backward step somehow.

Selections for the other sections are all fantastic pieces, though, so it should make for an entertaining contest if there's a good turnout (I'd have liked to see how bands got on with Isiah 40, mind!).

On the whole whoever comes up with the lists has done a very good job (but please no Eric Ball in the lower sections next year!).

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Absolutely quality piece!

21. bigcol

bigcol Member

Lists are set by the previous years' adjudicator(s).

22. Thanks for the info. Good job Chris Wormald then (if I've remembered correctly)!

Would be nice for the lower section to have a bit more faith in its collective ability, though.

Call of the Sea seems like the easy option, both technically and musically, especially after the good efforts put forward on a tricky Lydian Pictures last year.

If we're to improve our performances on the bigger stages (i.e. the Dolphin centre and beyond) we need to challenge ourselves more throughout the year. The relaxed environment of the league contest is a perfect chance to have a go at some of the more challenging repertoire, which could come in handy next March if recent years' Area selections are anything to go by.

But maybe that's a thought for another place/time.