Day Passes at butlins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jrshimmon, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I live in Lincolnshire and in my 4 years of living here I have yet to make it to Butlins for the Mineworkers contest.
    I do not want to stay over so does anyone know where I can find out about arrangements for day visitors.

I hope I have put this thread in the right place. (Please move if it should be elsewhere)

2. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just be aware that they do not normally do day passes for the Sunday as there are already too many staying on site who want to attend the entertainment contest.

BRIAN KEECH Member

Day passes

I can confirm you can not get day passes at Butlins on the Sunday. I made the mistake of travelling from Milton Keynes 3 years ago only to be refused entry.
  5. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

Am i right in thinking that in addition to a band paying to compete, every bandsperson has to pay to get in if not staying?
  6. John_D

John_D Member

yes, that's correct
  7. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

That's an expensive contest entry for a band coming on a coach!

8. John_D

John_D Member

Butlins justify it because all the attractions are available (we usually find the time to go for a swim)
  9. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

In your experience does the band pay or the players themselves? I have only done it once (coach) so i presume that the band paid.

every other contest is free entry for band people participating AFAIK, regardless of facilities.....however it doesnt seem to be stopping bands going there!
  10. John_D

John_D Member

Each band makes it's own arrangements. Certainly manly bands with limited resources rely on each player paying to get in. I did for a couple of years but have stayed for the weekend more recently (already booked for 2011)
  11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

we,re staying the weekend but each band member has paid for their own accomodation. I don't think charging for band members puts anyone off entering. Just look at the size of the sections. In January there are 24 in our section
  12. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

I have no problem with this, and wouldnt expect bands to pay form accomodation. I didnt expect players coming on the day to be charged however. Possibly an attempt at encouraging people to stay onsite.
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think that has always been Butlin's and the contest organiser's thought process. However last week I managed to book a room for 4 in Silver Class (self catering) for less than £32 each for the 3 night stay and entrance to the site. Extra £20 for the accommodation - you cant grumble about that.

Makes £55 each at Pontins look ludicrous and we get a proper bed each and not having to use the sofa bed.