David Read: Autobiography released next weekend

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassinthebathroom, May 21, 2004.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I see in the Bandsman today that David Read's Autobiography is due to be launched at next Sunday's All England Masters Contest. From what I've been told it looks to be a great read (pardon the pun), and maybe will contain vital information on how to win with him in the box :?:
    I've got mine ordered already :D .... just in case! :p

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'm sure they'll be camping out all night to be first to get that one! :wink:

3. bassinthebathroom

Or to avoid the massive queues outsied the Corn Exchange on Sunday morning you could pre-order by emailing info@jagrins.com or by visiting www.jagrins.com :lol:

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

And miss the chance to get a priceless signed copy! :shock: :wink:

5. bassinthebathroom

Isn't he in the box next weekend then? ...makes a change! :shock:

Take it you won't be there at the front of the queue then Chris? :p

6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think he is in the box... but I'm sure they'll let him sign a few between bands :lol: I'm not sure I want a copy... can't see there being that many amusing anecdotes about sitting in boxes for 8 hours on end and pissing in a bucket. Or maybe there are?!! :lol:

7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

In all seriousness though, I'm sure it's a good read (again no pun!) for anyone interested in this sort of thing. Just not my cup of tea! Now, where did I put that Beano... :roll:

8. Pierre

Pierre Member

Hi Iain,
    What did good old BB have to say? I`m ashamed :oops: to say I`ve cancelled my subscription as most of the info they publish can be found on here and 4barsrest days/weeks before. :shock: :shock: :D

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

Is it subtitled
    "Living in a Box" ?

:oops:

10. JAGRINS

JAGRINS Supporting Member

Thanks for bringing this thread up. Yes, you’re quite right, we are launching David Read's book at the All England Masters.

You are a little misinformed, although the British Bandsman does say it's an autobiography, neither us nor David Read really think it is. It's more of a social history of bands over the last 60 years as seen through his eyes. There is plenty of humour in the book, and some very frank and forthright opinions in relation to teaching and adjudicating.

There is also more than a hint of what you need to do as a competing band to catch his ear when he is in the box.

JAGRINS Music Publications
    www.jagrins.com
    +44 (0)161 477 8808

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bandsman
    All England Masters Contest
    David Read
    Autobiography
    great read
  12. Pierre

Pierre Member

WHAT? :shock: YOU MEAN A HINT FROM AN ADJUDICATOR ABOUT WHAT THEY MIGHT BE LOOKING FOR WHILST SHUT AWAY IN THE BOX? :shock: TOO MUCH INFORMATION METHINKS! :wink: :wink:

13. Pierre

Pierre Member

No Rob correct title is "Beyond the Box" Now if that doesn`t conjure up the possibilities! :oops: :idea: :idea: :guiness

14. bassinthebathroom

You mean they know what they're looking for?!? :shock:

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

or even 'Judge? Dread!'

16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

The headline in the BB was 'David Read reveals all'

Sounds pretty sensational :D

D

17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    May have to get this book out of curiousity!

18. bassinthebathroom

Well, there are photographs, but hopefully not of that kind! :shock: :eek:
    Having seen a few extracts from the finished product, I can say that this is definitely a book that all conductors, and their players, who come 'up against' Mr. Read (which is almost everyone, at some point or another :lol: ) should have. Some quite frank and particular comments, points and guidelines in there!

19. lister89

lister89 Member

Iain... why aren't you revisin?!?!?! Still who was the hoover? You can't avoid tellin us! The book sounds good on the subject :)

LIZZIE xXx

20. Pierre

Pierre Member

The headline in the BB was 'David Read reveals all'

If David is revealing all shouldn`t he be doing it in Adjudicators Comments and not The Rehearsal Room? :dunno

21. bassinthebathroom

Well as you know I never managed to get any Brass Band History notes as Mr. Pritchard is too aged to work the Hifi by himself :eek: So I've not really got that much to revise for Thursday :?

Yes I can, and indeed will!..... Yup, the book is good :wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bandsman
    All England Masters Contest
    David Read
    Autobiography
    great read