David of the White Rock for Flugel Solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mesmerist, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I have heard Iwan Williams lovely solo from "Mellow Moments" but wondered if there are other versions of David of the White Rock arranged for Flugel soloist?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ray Bowes's arrangement was intended for cornet, but its plaintive nature makes it ideal for flugel. Available via SP&S, although not listed on their website.

3. Mesmerist

Thank you Peter. I am sure I have heard another version as well but I cannot remember who arranged it. Did Johnny Doyle play one? (Love that man by the way - what a nice guy)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Elgar Howarth arranged it a while back for flugel. Available here.

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

But it is listed on our World of Brass website HERE!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Didn't expect to find it under "Trad" - checked under Ray Bowes instead - the sooner you get a proper index for the Sheet Music section the better ;)

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Or just type the name of the piece into the search box.

So true. We've made a start with this, by categorising each piece of music, but there's quite a way to go before we're ready to run it.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's a shame (... after all that effort) that Mesmerist is looking for arrangements of the solo other than the one by Ray Bowes ;)

9. Mesmerist

Thank you Brassneck. That may have been the one I was thinking of but I am sure it had a full band arrangement?

May be it was a horn solo that I heard then. I just remember loving the arrangement but not who played it!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Definitely a solo. Cory recorded it as a horn solo with Owen Farr on "The Lighter Side Of Elgar Howarth" CD but it was originally meant for flugel. For full band, you might be thinking of the Philip Sparke arrangement?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel Solo
    David of the White Rock
    Iwan Williams
    Mellow Moments
    White Rock