David King mpc and the Xeno Cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Aug 24, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

Hello, I just got a new cornet from my band. Called Yamaha Xeno.

From what I've heard this cornet is one of the best right now. Also, in the cornet case there is a mouthpiece with David King's signature, I wonder if the mouthpiece and the cornet combined is a good combination?

Could YOU tell me more about this?

Thank You.
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

keep your own mouthpiece if you're comfortable with it - I keep my DK one in the case just in case but I stayed on my DW 4 1/2.
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I have a Xeno (I've had one for 3 years now - so much better than the Maestro I had before!) but I use a DW Heritage 3B with it. I've tried several different mouthpieces (including the one that came with it) but this this seems to work the best for me. However, like Chris says, its whatever mouthpiece YOU feel most comfortable with.

I have a feeling the reason this mouthpiece is working out best for me is because I am kind of doing a LOT more practise than I have done in recent years - not because the mouthpiece is some sort of magic technique improver ;)
  4. xRinat

xRinat Member

Right now I'm using a DW 3b, I love it. But I wonder if I could play better in other mouthpieces.
    Should I try it?
  5. themusicalrentboy

ask a professional for advice on other mouthpieces... bigger can be better - you need to put the work in on deeper gob irons but it's worth it if you do put that extra bit in.
  6. xRinat

xRinat Member

I'll try the David King mouthpiece, it's quiet big ;)
  7. themusicalrentboy

AHHH.... don't just do it because it's big... bigger CAN be better - ask advice from a pro who's around and can see how you play and can suggest something suitable....
  8. xRinat

xRinat Member

I called a guy that is really good, going to have lessons with him soon.
    Hope he can help me out.
  9. wilearl

wilearl Member

I have a Xeno cornet for sale. It is silverplate complete with case and David King mouthpiece. Email me if interested. will_earl@hotmail.com