David James RIP.

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Frontman, Feb 13, 2010.

1. BBarranger

BBarranger New Member

Sad to hear David has gone. Spent a couple of years in the NYBBGB with him (in the late fifties!!) When in London for a gig he put me up at his flat. Lovely man. Sad that I only crossed paths with him once since then, apart from the odd email.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you

Hello all, my name is Stephen James, David's Grandson,

I would just like to say thank you all for your kind words, it is amazing to see how far the love and kindness he had to offer could reach and the number of people's lives he truly made a difference

Thank You.

Stephen

3. agentorange

agentorange Member

As a child I was fortunate visit David's home for private lessons with his wife Rita. David often used to put his head round the door with words of encouragement and advice. As an 11 year old, I hardly knew who he was, but realised in later life how priviliged i was. When I met him again on facebook twenty odd years later, I was amazed that he remembered who i was, and even more amazed when he said he was surprised i'd remembered him! I hardly knew him as a musician, but i remember him fondly as a true gentleman. Thank you David for your encouragement in those early years.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any confirmed news of the funeral arrangements? I have been informed that it is at Aberdeen Crematorium on Friday, 26th February. Not too sure of the time though. I believe it is at 13:20.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

David James

I was a pupil of Davids at huddersfield poly from 84 till 87. He is quite possibly the most inspiring teacher, musician and more importantly human being I have ever met. I still have the image of him playing a top C with big Dai the bass trombone player stood on his diaphram (he went into hospital for a hernia operation 4 weeks later), his beloved Silk Cut almost burning my finger ends when they went over the top of the valves, and his wonderful Welsh accent proclaiming "****** hell, Rob". In my own teaching I often think what would Jamesy have done or said in this situation.Everyone who knew him held him with a warmth and fondness. He had many sayings, my favourite being "Life is not a dress rehearsal, this is the performance". Jamesey, from all that knew you, BRAVO. Rob Hume

6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Moy posted on David's FB page that it's here:
    Friday 26th February 1.35 at Aberdeen Crematorium - West Chapel.

Unfortunately I'm not able to fly just now, and the journey by car is way too long, so won't be there in person.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... thanks!

8. FastFinguredFreddy

FastFinguredFreddy New Member

Quite simply the man was a legend. He taught my dad everything he knows, back at the academy in the 70's, and he has been passing this knowledge on to his kids at various schools for years. Had the privelage of some lessons with the great man myself a few years ago and as others are saying a more inspirational and motivational man you will never meet. A great man and a great legacy.

9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

The results ceremony at the Welsh Open was preceded by a minute's silence and round of applause in honour of David....nice.

10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Moy has put up the address and directions on Facebook, so I thought I'd pass them on in case someone here intends to go and doesn't use Facebook:

THE ADDRESS FOR THE CREMATORIUM (WEST CHAPEL) IS - Hazlehead, Aberdeen, Scotland, AB15 8PT

Aberdeen Crematorium is about 4 miles west of the city centre and situated off the B9119, Skene Road on the outskirts of the city.
    For those who don't have their own transport it can be reached by taking a First Aberdeen Bus to the Woodend Terminus opposite the gate to Woodend Hospital. From there, the Council operates a free courtesy minibus ... See more service to the Crematorium. This yellow minibus sits immediately beside the terminus approximately 10 minutes before the start of each service and returns after the service.

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/deaths/dfc/dfc_abdn_crem.asp

11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Thanks Kirsty for posting times etc.
    Have heard the free bus may longer run - sorry.

You probably will not be surprised to hear how busy we have been kept keeping up with all the messages on facebook, tMP, hotmail, msn etc
    I know all the messages have helped Rita get through this very tough time.
    She has asked me to keep all messages and she will read through them all again.

David was a great friend......miss you pal.

12. JCampbell

JCampbell New Member

Yes Moria I must agree with you on that one he was a great friend to have and a great musician to Rita and all her family my condolences, all the best for the future. He will be missed. Ian Campbell euph. player with Unison Kinneil band.