David James RIP.

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Frontman, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

It is witha very sad heart that I inform the forum of the death of David James. David passed away at 10.30pm last evening, Friday 12th Feb 2010.

He was a man with a huge heart, an excellent Musical Director and Teacher. I am sure that he will be very sadly missed by thousands of Brass Band players and spectators alike.

My condolances go out to Rita and his Family and all his very close friends in Scotland and around the world.

God bless you all.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David James
    David James RIP
    huge heart
    sad heart
    close friends
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What dreadful news and what a great loss to music. David was a real character and a fine musicuan. My heartfelt condolonces to Rita and the family. Aileen Evans

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

A great player, conductor and teacher. A man with a huge passion for many different genres of music. I don't claim to have known him very well, but we met on a handful of occasions and I was always taken by his knowledge and understanding.

He'll also be sadly missed on this forum too, he was never afraid to speak his mind on a number of topics!

5. Columbo

Columbo Member

I would reiterate the comments above. I too only met David on a couple of occasions but remember them very well, due to his extremely polite and enthusiastic manner. Extremely sad news. Another sad loss to the movement.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Very sad news indeed. He was inspirational to myself and many others throughout our youth and beyond. He was always "ahead of the game" providing opportunities to rehearse, educate and perform innovative music and techniques.

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sad news indeed.

The thoughts and condolences of my family and the Company are with those he leaves behind.

8. impycornet

impycornet Member

A great man and a fantastic teacher. Will be missed by all

9. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

How sad. But what a great guy! I had the privilege of playing for David for a few years a while back. Deepest sympathies to family and close friends. I will be left with only happy, fun memories though. He was such an entertaining guy.

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

David James was a regular tutor at the NYBBW around the time I was in it. As such he was an inspirational influence on a generation of Welsh cornet players.

Many of us were playing deeply challenging music for the first time in our banding lives, and Mr James' encouragement, enthusiasm, teaching ability and threats to "bite yer ar$e" got us through, and playing to a standard that I hadn't thought possible.

What a great bloke, and a sad loss. My condolences to his family, and his extremely wide circle of friends across the brass playing world. RIP Mr James, and thank you.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nicholas Childs dedicated the encore to Dyke's Brentwood concert ("I'll walk with God") to his memory with a moving tribute - very emotional moment.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David James
    David James RIP
    huge heart
    sad heart
    close friends
  13. jimortality

jimortality Member

Very sad news indeed, I didn't know him but I'd heard a lot about him, condolences to his family.

14. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

I was lucky enough to receive some Cornet lessons from the great man at Salford some years ago. An inspirational teacher and a really nice guy. Rightly described as a legend. Deepest sympathy to his family. RIP David.

15. unregistered

unregistered Guest

David James One great teacher

David had the great joy of re-teaching me how to play.
    I had the greater joy of having David as my teacher and a friend.
    Always straight to the point we got on well.
    I am only sorry I did not manage to get up to see him last year and he was on my hit list for a visit this year as it is my half century.
    I am currently in Oz and will, no doubt me passing on some of the things that David taught me.
    Deepest sympathies to Rita and the kids

John Yarker

16. Tubah

Tubah Member

May I add to the above tributes. I did not know the man but recognise his contribution to the world of banding as a player, conductor, adjudicator and contest advisor. I also enjoyed his wit in his posts on tMP as "Jamesresurgam"

RIP David

17. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Very sad to hear of this news. I was very lucky to receive cornet lessons by David James back in 2001. Tremendous teacher- highly knowledgable, analytical, methodical, full of enthusiasm, great musician, lots of passion for the music and the sound etc. but as man great humour, great character, enjoyed every minute of my time with him, his family and friends. I'll be eternally grateful for his teachings and encouragement. God bless you David James. RIP.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  18. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Just saw the news on 4BR - very sad. David never failed to look up my late father when he visited South Wales - a true gentleman.

19. ABERDEEN LOON

ABERDEEN LOON Member

I consinder myself fortunate and previlaged to have played under Mr James for 3 years while at Granite City Brass. By the time that I left the band, I was twice the player that I was before I joined. He was a Gentleman and had a way of coaxing the best out of the band. You knew you had done well at band if you got the wink after playing something. If I can pass on a fraction of what he tought me, I will have done well.

Whenever at contests, I always looked out for him and will miss his witt, good humour and sincerety.

Jamsie, I will miss you!

Andrew

20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

There are certain pieces of music that I will never be able to listen to again without thinking of David. He really pushed me in the short space of time that I was living in Aberdeenshire, and I'll always be grateful for the faith he had in my playing, and advice that he gave me. He was also a fantastic conductor - no matter what part you were sat on he could tell if you played something out of tune or the wrong note (and boy did he let you know that he knew!), and he had a fabulous sense of how things should be played.

As someone mentioned on his FB page, my Arban still opens itself at page 106.

RIP David.

21. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Condolences

I have just heard tonight of David's death. What a fantastic man he was. I had the privilege of being his first private pupil when he came to Scotland years ago aged 22. I have wacky memories of DJ standing on my stomach and getting me to blow my cornet! And yes.......i too have an Arban that falls open at page 106 ex9. He was a supreme motivator, I really thought he could get me to walk on water. I have wonderful memories of visiting Rowan Drive on a friday night for a lesson taht was truly inspiring. To Rita and the famuily........prayers and thoughts at this difficult time.

David Henderson

Glasgow

22. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Coming out of posting retirement to also pass on my respect for DJ, and to express my sympathies to Rita & family, and to his close friends.

I first met DJ only a few years ago, and really have only spent a few hours in his company. That small amount of time though was enough to be impacted by the force of his personality, his love for music, and especially his extraordinary capabilites as a teacher.

I spent 10 seconds playing some warm-up notes, and that time, he had walked a circle around me, sized me up and diagnosed some likely problems. He then stopped me and explained the causes and effects in such a natural and progressive way that I knew how to go about dealing with them when I left his house and was on my own again. I'll never forget that.

Cheerio Mr. James.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010