David Gemmell books

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by fitzy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Anyone else in here read David Gemmell?
  2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yep, Fantastic!. Waylander was one of my favorites.
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

The only book he has written that I didn't really like was "The Knight's of Dark Renown". All his other stuff is great.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Nope - but I have been told by several people that I should. I am currently reading Steven Donaldsons latest release in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - and it is brilliant. His first for 20 years following the epic 6 book sets he did originally.

If you liked LotR, you will love this set...
  5. rutty

rutty Active Member

I nearly failed my A-levels because of the first two trilogies :)

I'd forgotten this was coming out, must go and put an order in right now ;)

btw John, did you read the Gap series too? His diversion into Sci-Fi was brilliant I thought - the second and third books were superb.

presently reading some Robert Rankin (Witches of Chiswick) which is rather good, but never read any Gemmell. So many authors, so little time to read them all.
  6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I havnt heard of any of these books/authors are they for adulty people?
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Stephen Donaldsons series on Thomas Covenant is simply breathtaking. They are Science Fantasy rather like Tolkeins Lord of the Rings - only much better!!!

There are currently Three series of these... The 1st Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, the 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, and The Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

The 1st and 2nd are 3 books each set (6 in total), the Final series has only the first of three currently released... Donaldson is currently writing the 2nd one in the Final series of three.

They really are superb writing. Tremendously descriptive, captivating and awe inspiring. You really should read them.

8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

*tootles off to library*
    Actualy its closed :-? an im not at school :-?
  9. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

I agree!

Donaldson's sci-fi is excellent. The Chronicles are pretty fantastic too.
    Didn't realise there was another out, will be shopping this weekend.
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Witches of Chiswick is quite good but, if you haven't read the other parts of the brentford trilogy (in 7 parts, of which Witches is the 6th) do so with immediate effect.
  11. HBB

HBB Active Member

No. :p
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

Will do. I love his prose - very different and quite bizarre :)

Some Gemmell might be in order too I think, just so i can say I posted at least once on-topic in this thread ;)