David Childs to feature in Armed Man Showcase

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by carlwoodman, Mar 14, 2005.

1. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

David Childs will be performing in a specially formed brass band to perform a new transcription of
    The Armed Man, A Mass for Peace by Karl Jenkins. The piece has been transcribed for brass band, choir and organ by students Duncan Gibbs and Andrew Wainwright as part of their music degree at Middlesex University. Karl Jenkins himself will be attending the concert and will be interviewed beforehand.

Also playing in the band will be Philip Cobb, Chris Turner, Chris Deacon, Owen Farr, Sophie Rhodes, Andrew Justice and me to name but a few. The band is made up of players from a number of top Salvation Army and contesting bands. The concert will also feature the BBC Radio 2 Young Chorister of the Year 2002, Lucy Rhodes. Joining her and the band will be the Exeter Festival Chorus and Middlesex University Festival Chorus.

The concert is on Saturday 9th April at 7.30pm, at St John the Baptist Church, Barnet (on the junction of High Street and Wood Street).

Tickets are £15, £9.50 and £6.50 for concessions, and are available from St John the Baptist Church, Barnet or by calling 07906 242319 or 07985 901519.

All the proceeds for the concert will be going to The Salvation Army tsunami appeal.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Pity it's the same night as the tMP band's concert at Hadleigh, otherwise I'd probably have gone along. Hope the evening is a success, and that the link-up with Karl Jenkins serves to introduce more people to what bands are capable of.
  3. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've just arrived home from having played in this concert and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
    Many, many people made great efforts to make this concert happen but I'd like to highlight a few for special mention;

Exeter Festival Chorus for travelling from Devon to form part of the chorus;
    David Childs, Chris Turner and Owen Farr for giving up a Saturday and travelling from South Wales to play in the band;
    Andrew and Doreen Deacon for ferrying their son Chris from the Royal Wedding Blessing in Windsor, where he had played trumpet, to Barnet just in time to play soprano cornet in the band;
    David Rudd for his homework on the score and for his direction on the day;
    Duncan Gibbs, Andrew Wainwright and Spencer Chisham whose project it was;
    the 200+ members of the audience.

It was great to be part of this concert and I was chuffed to be asked to play in it. It was a great thrill to hear Karl Jenkins talk about his music in what I understand was his first ever public interview.